Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > OK to plug carboy when crash cooling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
ArrowheadAles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I crash cooled and forgot to switch out the blow off. Ended up with a half gallon of sanitizer on top of my beer. Not cool!

Now just a small amount of it in an airlock is the way to go.

-Washington Irving

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arrowh...28728700564577

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Lots of people on the web seem to be asking about how to get a stopper out of their carboy. And if it doesn't get sucked in, and carboy is glass, well, these aren't exactly pressure vessels.

Just sayin'. It's your equipment, and your choice. Just be sure to be informed.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

@Latium, I completely agree about the pressure aspect. The carboy imploding is my only real concern with using the stopper. I am just going to crash cool a carboy filled with water and measure exactly how much water (or in my case vodka) gets sucked back. if it is truly that minimal, I guess I will just stick to airlocks to be safe. But to be honest, suckback really bothers me and has kept me from crash cooling my beers for the 4.5 years that I have been brewing for so far.

ALSO, the only stories about the stoppers falling into the carboy did not involve the sort of stopper that I am using. The "universal" stopper I have WILL NOT get sucked/pushed in, no matter what force is being applied.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
oceanbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I was cleaning my carboy by vigorously shaking it back and forth with soapy water inside, while using a perforated stopper as a top. It pushed in until below lip of carboy. Had to use a screwdriver to get it out - putting it through where the airlock goes. It didn't take much to get it in that far, and it almost went all the way in. There is no way of getting a stopper out of a carboy. Do what they say. Use an airlock. I had a mead sucking air back into the bottle, because I left the door open, and the temp went down. It would definitely pull a stopper in under right conditions.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
DAlexander
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Why not plug one of the cheap sanitary air filters into the stopper. That would let the air pressure equalize and keep the incoming air clean. with enough headspace of CO2 the small amout of O2 shouldn't hurt. Just a thought

http://morebeer.com/view_product/167...anitary_Filter

Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
Has anyone ever actually had a rubber stopper suck into the carboy? I just refuse to believe that this is possible. I couldnt squeeze it through the neck of a carboy if I tried as hard as I could. Has this actually happened to someone or is this another homebrewing myth?
It's not a myth. When I brew in the winter in SC, I bring my sanitized carboys from inside the house to outside, while they are donning a non-perforated stopper. They usually get sucked in partially while the carboys are waiting to be filled. And this is from only 10-15 minutes outside, with a differential of about 20F (68F inside, 48-50F outside).

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have cold crashed with a stopper. No problem. I read several threads where people did the same before attempting. I also tried a plastic bag with a rubber band to see how much it would suck in. Very little deflation. I think the pressure concerns are overstated. But watch my next stopper get sucked in...

Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #18
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get yourself a nice clean handkerchief. Fold it in half then half again. Lay it over the top of the carboy and secure it with a rubberband or a nice piece of string. The only thing that will likely get sucked into your carboy, other than filtered air through the handkerchief, will be lint from the handkerchief.
Problem solved.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I am cold crashing a beer I always use the s-type airlock and have never had suck back. I keep a couple around just for this reason. I don't use them for primary fermentation because they are a pain to clean if you get krausen in them.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Quick Reply