Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Off Flavor Advice (Pool flavor?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Mishkan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Off Flavor Advice (Pool flavor?)

So I'm trying to narrow down where in my processes I've been going wrong, I've had beers in the past that are perfectly fine. First off here has been my current set up recently.

Hoboken Water Profile:
Aluminum ppb ND-177
Chloride ppm 71-110
Hardness (as CaCO3) ppm 64-102
Iron ppb 65
Manganese ppb 18
pH 6.1-8.1
Sodium ppm 39
Sulfate ppm 10
Total Dissolved Solids ppm 145-485
Zince ND-0.07

Recent Changes and set up (within the timeframe of these off flavors)
I switched to all grain recently.
Hitting my temps pretty well and maintaining them.
Don't have fermentation temperature control so most of my last brews have been free.
I keg.
I switched to using DME starters

So right now I go through the whole brew process, I try my hydro sample (which tastes absolutely delicious). Then let the whole thing run through. I keg and it tastes not nearly as good as beforehand. Then once I keg it a lot of the beers have this constant off flavor. I wasn't having this flavor at all when I was doing partial/extracts and kegging (those were well into the winter). Also on another note brewed something with a similar malt profile as a bock and it came out light. Also all aromas are disappearing completely, a witbier that had orange and coriander doesn't have any smell post fermentation. Mouthfeel is almost watery on all of them

Last edited by Mishkan; 06-15-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

do you have chloramines in your water?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Chlorine/choramine is the first thing I think of when you mention swimming pool water. Are you using K meta to get rid of them?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Mishkan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also just adding, I've had many brews in the past using this water that have turned out perfectly fine, it has been a more recent event.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishkan View Post
Also just adding, I've had many brews in the past using this water that have turned out perfectly fine, it has been a more recent event.
My 0.02 ...
Cities can change water with no notice...Traditionally all the "boil notices" happen in the summer so they may up the clorine/cloramines...

I use city water run through a PUR filter adapted to a drinking water safe RV hose and 1 camden tab per 10 gallons. There is no pool here...

Also, Stouts + IPA and other "strong flavored" brews may cover up the pool taste a little better or your palate is getting better so you can taste it now.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Mishkan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
My 0.02 ...
Cities can change water with no notice...Traditionally all the "boil notices" happen in the summer so they may up the clorine/cloramines...

I use city water run through a PUR filter adapted to a drinking water safe RV hose and 1 camden tab per 10 gallons. There is no pool here...

Also, Stouts + IPA and other "strong flavored" brews may cover up the pool taste a little better or your palate is getting better so you can taste it now.
I did the Haus Pale Ale back in February (3 weeks before super bowl) and it came out as one of my best brews yet. After that, none were really as good, brewed his IPA and all the hoppiness was gone (I can kinda blame that on the horribad Sulfate Ratio). But again, in my witbier the oranges and coriander disappeared as well. The pool smell is more of a hot tub style smell versus a full size swimming pool. Just blands out everything. The mouthfeel is just completely odd, a witbier that tastes watery is just wrong.

I guess I can try campden in my next batch to see if it fixes this.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Mishkan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also any idea on how to recover this last batch? I was thinking of adding in some coriander and orange peel to this keg, and then transfer over to another. Since all the aroma was lost from those.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Mishkan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Off Flavor Investigation

Basically didn't get much help earlier because I don't think I described it very well, or mislead people. So I'm rewriting it here.

Last (really) good batch was back in February around the super bowl. Since then have brewed multiple beers that have all had a very similar issue. The hydro samples all taste delicious, by the time they make it to the keg and carbonated they've lost almost all aroma, the mouth feel is relatively watery (even with a wheat beer), and there's almost a slight burn to them but I felt its more CO2.. It's very hard to describe properly (almost like drinking poolwater without any hints of chlorine whatsoever, horrible analogy). My witbier was watery and all the orange and coriander notes were gone. My IPA was just bitter with almost no hop aroma. My fauxbock came out light colored. I've used store bottled water and tap water. Always rinse with tap water+starsan.

Until just recently my fermentations have not been fermentation controlled. I started using starters (before that I just pitched in a vial or two). I never decanted off the top though. I used both my old bottling bucket and my carboy for fermenting.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This may help...

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Mishkan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah already looked at all the sites with those descriptions, none of those fit too well. There's a reason I'm asking here, as in one of my theories is a dirty CO2 supply.

Last edited by Mishkan; 06-16-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply