Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > obtaining smoked hickory flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
beerbellybryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I boiled some of the hickory (hopefully it will still hold some of it's flavor) then tossed them onto the grill on the grate while still soaked and hot, over some smoking hickory chunks. let them sit on there for about two hours, then tossed them into the secondary with my brew. I left a few out just to see how well they maintained the aroma and they're still smelling strong. Will let update on flavor once beers complete. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
garrett_8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wishing I would have done my homework before hand. From the hydrometer sample I just tasted I can say that 2lbs. of weyermann smoked malt adds zero smoke character to a five gallon batch. Fine excuse to try again soon, i've been itching to fire up my smoker anyway.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you want to add smoked wood flavor there's only 3 ways to do it I can think of.

1. A drop or two of liquid smoke in the secondary.

2. Condition some base malt (get it very damp) and then smoke it dry. Add to your mash as usual.

3. Get some charred hickory chips, dip in vodka to sterilize and add to the secondary.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

If you're looking for hickory smoked flavor, why not try AHS's hickory smoked malt?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=13525&osCsid=9c77afa7 28149ae2823335538aa44230

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Ok,here's something I continually have to bring up with regard to these wood chip/smoke flavor threads. Use the hickory wood,yeah maybe soak it in something nutral like vodka or grain alcohol in an airtight container in the fridge during primary. Pour it all through/into a hop sock,tie it off,& drop it into secondary. I mean liquid from them in secondary & the chips in a bag.
I don't relish the thought of splinters hitting my tonsils at 100mph!
The thing is,the liquid will soak the resins out of the wood. toss the liquid & guess what? There went your wood flavors. That's why I dump in liquid,chips & all. The flavor 9of the wod goes out into the liquid. Any flavor in the liquid goes into the wood. So it's a kind of symbiosis.
Ever soak wood chips in water for the bbq & see the water turn brown if they sit in it too long? That's the wood flavor goin by by. Use the liquid too.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
garrett_8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

^ thanks for the info, never thought about that. Same as making your own vanilla extract.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRy View Post
Go old school with the stein bier method and smoke some granite rocks on a hickory fire for a few hours or until they are extremely hot and add them to your kettle right before you sparge.
One of the brewing magazines just add an article on this method. It warned about the risk of rocks exploding from the heat. Is granite a safe one to use?

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Dortmunder Export
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, from what I read on this technique is that granite is one of the best to use because its so hard. I used it with my beer and it was just fine. The precautions I read about this was to not use any rock that is from a river or sitting in water as those will explode when the water inside of them starts to steam.

Mammoth brewing co near me did a beer like this using lava rock and they also didn't have any issues. Just be careful with what rocks you choose and if you are unsure of what rocks to use, go with granite. Heat them up for awhile until they are extremely hot then just put them into your empty kettle and start your sparge. This worked out awesome for me and I am going to try it in a APA next time.

Also, think about what wood you want to use. The OP in this thread wanted a hickory flavor, thats way I suggested that wood. I used oak with a bit of apple wood. Just use whatever wood that you want to impart the flavor of and dont be scared of the ash and smoke buildup on the rocks. I just threw them in black with ash and all.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
Conman13
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can steam the chips instead of boiling them to sanitize. That will not deplete their flavor as much.

+1 about using only a small amount of liquid smoke. That stuff is highly, highly concentrated and powerful. Just a couple drops will do it.

Smoking the grains in an actual smoker sounds like a cool idea also.

Quick Reply