New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oaking for first time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
jjbroken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oaking for first time

Have been reading here about oaking as I'm planning on trying it for the first time with my next batch. Sort of seems like folks get mixed results... So, is my best bet to just do it, sample till I get the oak/flavor I like and go with it?

I am trying a "John John Dead Guy Ale" clone, got 3oz American (med) oak cubes; thinking I'll try about 1.5oz in a cup or so Markers Mark for a week and add everything to secondary and taste test for awhile; maybe 2-4weeks??? or should I go with more cubes??? Please comment if you have any insight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 237

I have only used chips which work much faster than cubes. I oaked a low gravity pale ale on .5 oz of light toast american oak for 7 days and it was a little too much. I let it age a couple of months and it's good now. I also put .5 oz of the same chips in my barleywine for 10 days, and that was just about right. I could've left those a little longer since the BW wont be tapped until the winter.

I don't think there's a rule of thumb here other than to keep sampling until you hit the level you want. There's a good chapter in "Brewing Classsic Styles" that deals with using wood in beer. You should check it out.

Also have a look at this thread, it covers a lot of ground: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/tips-wood-aging-119445/

I aim to misbehave.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did a porter once.
I used 2oz of oak cubes, soaked in makers mark for a week. Then added it all into secondary for a week. Turned out great, but takes about 6 months for it to mellow out.

Tap 1: DFH Pumpkin
Tap 2: Amber
Primary 1: Nut Brown Ale
Primary 2:
Secondary: Imperial Pumpkin
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Pecan Brown Ale

Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Jipper
Vendor
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts

Chips take less time, but give a one-dimensional flavor. Cubes are the best way to replicate a barrel.

3 oz in 5 gallons seems like a bit much, I'd drop it down to 2 oz, personally. When I do bourbon-oak beers, I let the oak soak for two weeks and the drain the bourbon off and only add the oak. For me, the booze comes through enough not to dominate the malt, and this way if I need to I can always add more booze - you can't ever take it away.

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
Digital Marketing Manager
www.morebeer.com

Old 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
jjbroken
Recipes 

Default thanks for the replies

i went with all 3oz oak cubes in 1/3cup of gentleman's jack for a week. the oak soaked almost all the jack up and i added everything to secondary for a month...it turned out nicely! after about 3 weeks in the bottle has very pronounced whiskey/oak flavor but doesn't overpower...its mellowed some already, needs more time to be "ready" but tastey!!!

Last edited by jjbroken; 06-20-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
eggraid101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Chips take less time, but give a one-dimensional flavor. Cubes are the best way to replicate a barrel.
Actually, the chips give more of a 2-dimensional flavor. Cubes give a 3 dimensional flavor and oak points give a one-dimensional flavor. The points are hard to work with, though.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Jipper
Vendor
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts

Well your mileage may vary then Chips are flat and toasted to the same color, so you only get one flavor. Cubes have layers so you get more complexity.

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
Digital Marketing Manager
www.morebeer.com

Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggraid101 View Post
Actually, the chips give more of a 2-dimensional flavor. Cubes give a 3 dimensional flavor and oak points give a one-dimensional flavor. The points are hard to work with, though.
If you think the points are hard to work with, I wanted more a more complex 4-dimensional flavor. It turns out that working with oak tesseracts is really confusing.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply