Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > oak cubes in saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default oak cubes in saison

I have 5 gallons of a saison that is still conditioning, and I would like to add some oak character. I picked up 2.5 oz of "House Toast" American oak cubes, but after semi-extensive research I can't find any good information on using them in anything other than porters, stouts, and ipas. Other than the obvious advice of just tasting it as it goes, does anyone have anything to say about how much and how long?

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd start with .5-1 ouces for five gallons and go from there, leaving the cubes in for a long time(couple months at least). The oak character and complexity is better I think, there's a reason wines and beers are aged on oak for a while and not just always dumped into 100% new oak for a couple weeks and removed. Also, you don't want the oak overpowering the saison complexity/character, so I'd go easy.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
I'd start with .5-1 ouces for five gallons and go from there, leaving the cubes in for a long time(couple months at least). The oak character and complexity is better I think, there's a reason wines and beers are aged on oak for a while and not just always dumped into 100% new oak for a couple weeks and removed. Also, you don't want the oak overpowering the saison complexity/character, so I'd go easy.
i'm might as well just start private messaging you. i think this is like the third or fourth question in a row that you've had the first response. thanks for the input.

i just toasted half of a 2.5 oz package and put them in with some cheap bordeax to soak. i'm hoping this will mimic more of a wine-barrel aging. i'll see what that's smelling like in a couple of days/weeks and decide if it'll work with the saison.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Last edited by slim chillingsworth; 05-19-2008 at 03:54 AM.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
dawgman
Recipes 

Did you use the oak chips or not?

Quick Reply