Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oak chips. To dump with or without bourbon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
cayergeau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Never had Founders, but it's on my list of things to try, although locally I only have the Dirty Bastard, rather than the Backwoods Bastard.

And I do like the idea of a scotch ale, I'll have to get some to have my brother try out. The only one that I've had is the Old Chub from Oscar Blues, which was phenomenal. However I think regardless at this point, I'm going to end up making a real big IPA with oak cubes. ALL FOR ME though. Something I can let sit until this summer when it will have aged a bit. Any recipe suggestions?

I drink, therefore I am.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Made an allagash curieux clone. Had oak cubes covered in couple oz bourbon. Initially just added the oak cubes. The bourbon came through well. At kegging, added a splash (and I mean splash- maybe an ounce) to the keg. It is perfect.
Point is, the lighter the beer (tends to have less roasted/ caramelmalts) the less I would add. Just start off with the soaked cubes, then add very small additions. However with the cubes soaked in bourbon, that may be enough. For a darker , more roasty beer- porter/ stout- you might want to add some of the bourbon (I added 2 oz. to my vanilla bourbon porter). But you need to be careful. There is a fine line from just enough/ perfect to overpowering.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 77

The last recipe I tried at 3 gallons, I used about .7 oz of oak chips soaked in bourbon, added to the batch for 4 days without the liquid... and it tasted great. It wasn't overwhelming, just enough of an oak hint.

Next time, I'll probably have let it sit a bit longer, or add more oak for the same period of time, but it was a good experiment.

Quick Reply