Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > O2 before the ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
xamers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default O2 before the ferment

Do you inject O2 via artificial means for the ferment. I never have....now wondering if I should.

I guess I've been happy with my beers to date. Of course, I'm always looking for ways to improve. I usually let the cooled wort free fall into the carboy and have figured that gave me the oxygenation required. Call it the "water fall" method.

Am I missing a huge step that would improve everything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I always pump 02 but there are disagreements as to if this is any better then just shaking the carboy. Personally - I don't think it hurts.

I pump 02 in and THEN shake it. With 6 gallon ale recipes at 65-67 degrees F using wyeast pitch straight from the bag I usually ferment to target in 3-4 days.

- JVD_X

Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarlecky
I always pump 02 but there are disagreements as to if this is any better then just shaking the carboy. Personally - I don't think it hurts.

I pump 02 in and THEN shake it. With 6 gallon ale recipes at 65-67 degrees F using wyeast pitch straight from the bag I usually ferment to target in 3-4 days.
Well, I guess that was the general purpose of my thread. Is it worth investing in the equipment if it "might help".....I've been debating this for years.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Well, I guess that was the general purpose of my thread. Is it worth investing in the equipment if it "might help".....I've been debating this for years.
Hey its only money right! Id say its not going to not help
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have used 02 in my starters and that really helps. When 02 is used in beer I only give 60 seconds which is plenty. Pitching viable yeast in the correct quantity is the most important point as the esters produced will make or break a beer. Shaking the carboy definately is adequate in my opinion (all other things being equal).

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Even a relatively short burst of O2 can get more oxygen into the wort than any amount of shaking or aerating with an aquarium pump. I think it's well worth having an O2 system because I can oxygenate in 1 minute, and have the fermenter sealed up and ready to roll quickly. That compares to shaking for several minutes, or aerating for half an hour or so.

You can make good beer without aerating/oxygenating at all, so I wouldn't say you NEED to be injecting pure O2, it just seems to be the best option based on the information that's out there. If I didn't already have my O2 system, I think I'd stick with traditional aeration methods until I either A) got sick of shaking the carboy at the end of every long brew day, B) found a decent deal on an O2 kit, or C) just randomly decided to splurge on brewing equipment.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 04-24-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also - some folks can't really aerate by shaking... I just bought a 15 gallon conical and there is no practical way I will be able to shake that, so this means injection or the splash method.

In any case I got by for 15 years never using pure O2. With that said I have found that my yeasties seem to be fermenting a bit better since I started the O2 + Shaking regime.

- JVD_X

Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think it's like anything else. There's always going to be a slightly better, slightly more expensive method. You have to decide your own threshold of diminishing returns. I've done two experiments involving oxygen use but they've both been with regards to dry yeast. From what I've seen so far though, I'm happy to spend the "prorated" $1 per batch for the direct O2. I also know that you can make great beer without it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Considering I'm always looking to cut costs where possible, is there a way to get cheaper O2 than the little red bottles at home depot? (I already have the equipment that fits onto that type of bottle though...)

Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter
Considering I'm always looking to cut costs where possible, is there a way to get cheaper O2 than the little red bottles at home depot? (I already have the equipment that fits onto that type of bottle though...)
You can buy medical O2 tanks which are much bigger and refillable, so no doubt the gas costs are way lower. But, it's a lot more of an initial investment. Personally, I'm still on my first little red O2 tank after many batches and many months, so at the rate I'm going I'll probably only be replacing it once or twice a year. If you brew a lot, a larger tank may very well be worth it.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 04-24-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply