Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Nylon hop bag

What's the consensus out there on using these.
I've used the muslin "socks" and they don't really hold the particles in...

I've used the BM (i think) hop strainer do-hickey (PVC Coupling with paint strainer bag) and that worked pretty well as far as I could tell. It was really useful for multiple hops additions in my most recent ESB, but got in the way at the end when I wanted to add my IC for the last 15 min...

I just used a med size (8"x8") fine hop bag to hold a 2.75oz single 60min hops addition in a stout, and I'm worried I'm not going to get the same utilization I usually get. when I took the bag out there was still plenty of aroma left from a 60min addition, usually the hop bag smels like the wort and not overwhelming like hops....

Thoughts?

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Last edited by GreenwoodRover; 11-16-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Lord I was born a ramblin man....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd use a bigger rather than smaller bag, as long as it will hold the stuff in. Personally, I haven't used a bag for a while, but when I did, I think it was too small and I also wasn't getting the utilization I should've. Actually by tasting the final product I know I didn't get the utilization I should've. But we are talking a really small bag here.
About the IC, if the hop bag you're saying got in the way is the PVC thingy with the 4 ENORMOUS screws, just lift the whole thing out of the pot, put the IC in, and set it back down with the bag in the center of the IC. Alternatively, you could finish out the boil time, take the hop bag out, and then put in the IC for another 2 minutes or so. Anything put in boiling water (that can negatively affect beer) will be dead within about 30 seconds, tops. There aren't many common bacteria floating around that can survive 212+ (cuz of boiling point elevation) at all, let alone for more than a minute or so. Yeah, bacteria exist that can, but they're called thermophiles for a reason (i.e., they're not just commonly floating around). I've always found "15 minute boils to sanitize" over the top. Nothing you'll encounter (unless you live in Yellowstone) will survive for 12 minutes in boiling wort but not 15, etc, etc.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah, the lift our method was what i used after almost burning through the nylon the almost ripping the whole sack off the pvc guy...

Bummer about the low utilization, but I guess for an oatmeal stout a couble of IBU's less wont be a huge deal... Live and learn.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For an oatmeal stout it prob won't be too big of a problem. Definitely was in a tiny, tiny bag in a heller Bock though.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Quick Reply