Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > nut brown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
OldManK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default nut brown

I love nut brown beer, or at least I thought I did. I just brewed a batch and it is not too good. It tastes strongly of coffee and has an after taste that I cannot describe, but it isn't good. Any thoughts on where I could have gone wrong? I deviated from the directions in a few ways: instead of poring the hot wort into my primary fermentor I chilled it in an ice bath first, and I transfered it to a secondary fermentor (glass carbuoy) which was not specified in the directions. Would either of these moves have messed it up?
Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

neither of the things you did is detrimental. In fact, they should both IMPROVE the chances of success.

What is the recipe you used?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

The coffee sounds like a flavor that can be attributed to a roasted grain which may have been part of your recipe (can you post it?). The aftertaste will require more information to diagnose, but there are some guides on the web that cover common off-flavors and what causes them. Something there may ring a bell with what you're tasting. I'd post a link, but I can't get to most of them from work...

Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Here's a link to Palmer's section on off-flavors I'd agree that the coffee flavor is probably due to too much roasted barley or something similar.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
The coffee sounds like a flavor that can be attributed to a roasted grain which may have been part of your recipe (can you post it?). The aftertaste will require more information to diagnose, but there are some guides on the web that cover common off-flavors and what causes them. Something there may ring a bell with what you're tasting. I'd post a link, but I can't get to most of them from work...
Yup baron stole my thunder. I'd bet money that that recipe included black patent and/or roasted barley. You can find recipes for Nut Brown containing either one, both , or neither. I personally can't stand either one, I like to load up on crystal or chocolate instead. Just my .02. Cheers.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply