The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Now a Riddle.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
Muntzster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Now a Riddle.

Essentially, if I put as much sugar as i could get into a one gallon batch of water- and ferment it out, would that make vodka or something of the such, eh?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

No, unless you drink 48 proof vodka. The very best distiller's yeasts can get up to 24%, but it is a tricky process controlling the temperature and the results are not drinkable without distillation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

No. You would have some relatively low percentage alcohol mixed with water and yeast. In order to obtain a spirit that contains a higher percentage of ethanol and water you would have to distill it, which is illegal in the U.S.

John

Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Um, nope. Water has no nutrients in it on its own, so you'd get very sweet water that would poop out at the yeast's alcohol tolerance. For example, champagne yeast will ferment to about 18% max. Once you've reached that, the yeast will die out of alcohol poisoning. So whatever sugar is left will be left alone and not fermented. So, you'd get 18% alcohol sugar water. Or if you used grape juice- you'd get super sweet grape wine with 18% alcohol.
In order to get a pure alcohol, you'd have to distill it. Think "moonshine" with a still.

Lorena

Old 08-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Uh, how old are you? That's the kind of question usually posed by kidlings... just sayin'...

To answer, most beer yeasts will die out once the alcohol reaches 9% - 10% or so, give or take a few percent. Very high ABV brews will often call for a secondary fermentation using champagne yeast, which doesn't die until quite a bit higher. Vodka and other spirits are made by distilling - highly illegal in the States. The highest naturally fermented (not distilled) "spirit" that I know of is Sam Adams' Utipia, which is "only" 50 proof.

In any case, you would end up with some nasty-ass sugar water that was probably 6% - 8% or so, not anything remotely resembling a spirit or anything I would ever think about consuming.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can do it with honey and make a mead. That is about as easy as it gets but it will still only be around 12% using wine yeast. Honey has flavor to it so whatever does not get fermented adds flavor to the final product.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
D*Bo
Recipes 

The resulting liquid would be quite sweet and have a percentage of alcohol to the tollerance of the yeast, which has already been stated.
You can get turbo yeast which ferments out in 24-48 hours to 24%. You put a specific ammount of sugar in the fermentor, not as much as will disolve.
You can filter the mixture after it ferments and add flavorings or distill it, which is not illegal, as long as yo don't produce more than 10 gallons (I believe) a year.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 AM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I've never heard the 10-gallon a year limit; I always thought it was illegal, period.

BTW, I apologize for my earlier crack at your age, this is just the kind of question that always rings the alarm bells in my head.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:51 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Brew beer...it tastes better.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
Muntzster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I've never heard the 10-gallon a year limit; I always thought it was illegal, period.

BTW, I apologize for my earlier crack at your age, this is just the kind of question that always rings the alarm bells in my head.

The crack was understandable, i am underage,- most of you know and its been discussed and brought up many times- it was just a question, now that i understand the process more clearly im just asking questions. Im pretty afraid of going blind so theres no need to worry about me trying i was just wondering. Also another way that i think this would work is to freeze basically whatever alcohol you have made solid- flip it over and let it drip out until you have a ball of white ice in the center then you have removed most of the water and made the abv higher.

I know i will be flamed for being young.

Flame away .

Quick Reply