Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Not getting strong enough hop flavor/aroma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
westwardclock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not getting strong enough hop flavor/aroma

I recently brewed a clone of a beer. It has 1 more day of dry hopping. I have tasted it and I like it, however, it does not have the hop level of the original beer. I am really happy with all other aspects of the beer. This beer was deemed "clone" so i'm thinking its not the recipe. Without changing the recipe(add more hops at the end), how can I get more flavor and aroma? I brew 5 gallon batches and this recipe had 1oz each at 85min, 30min, 5min, and 0 min. 21grams dry hop. Part of my problem maybe that I do not incorporate any sort of a hop stand. As soon as my timer goes off I'm draining straight to the carboy(through a plate chiller). Usually 10 minutes and the kettle is drained out. Of course though the recipe does not call for a hop stand. Maybe its common knowledge to let it sit for a little bit before draining. One reason I have not tried it was, for the life of my, I cant find a good description how IBUs would change if I let it stand for 60-80 minutes. I saw 10% a few times however they were only referencing the zero minute hops. What about the rest of the hops that are already in the kettle. Surely they add more IBU's during the hop stand. 10% across the board?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps more knowledge of my setup could help

I brew All-Grain.
I use a very large 8" Diameter by 18" Tall metal Hop spider(I don't believe that is the problem at least with the small quantity of hops in the recipe in question)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think most responses will tell you to move the 30 min to 10 min or less, hopstand anywhere from 180-140* for 30 minutes, and increase the amount of hops your using. You could also look into doing a two stage dryhop. Some breweries seem to find that it is more effective than one.

And I wouldn't worry about much increase in IBUs from hop stand. It will increase some but it will be a smooth bitterness. I don't think there's much hard info on the increase. i wouldnt think it would be much more than 10%. you'll just have to experiment to see what works for you.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 812 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Is it still in the fermenter? If so, don't fuss over it just yet. I bet its flavor is going to change dramatically over the 6-8 weeks in the bottle or keg.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Isomerization happens over 180*F. If you do your hopstand under this temperature you shouldn't get any added bitterness. You could try that.

Also, do you pay attention to your water chemistry? Changing something in the water could help.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Is it still in the fermenter? If so, don't fuss over it just yet. I bet its flavor is going to change dramatically over the 6-8 weeks in the bottle or keg.
Exactly this. Never judge a beer until it is packaged and carb'd.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
westwardclock
Recipes 

I suppose it's wise to not judge it yet. I'll wait.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

for 5 gallon batches i've reduced my bittering charge to 10-15 ibu and add all of the rest of the hops (3-5oz) at flame out, usually a 15-30 min hop stand. the aroma and flavor is incredible, very bright and the bitterness is very pleasing.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
westwardclock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak
for 5 gallon batches i've reduced my bittering charge to 10-15 ibu and add all of the rest of the hops (3-5oz) at flame out, usually a 15-30 min hop stand. the aroma and flavor is incredible, very bright and the bitterness is very pleasing.
I'd like to try something like that but I feel I would be guessing too much, depending on what style of beer I am making. What did you just describe above? pale ale, ipa or dipa. Final Ibu range? I guess the only way to know is just start trying it.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Just put in more hops towards the end...

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Another factor that is sometimes a huge factor is the freshness of hops. I've made the same exact recipe twice before and one was amazing and the other was just ok, and I remember smelling the hops that went into the ok beer and they were not as pungent as the hops used for the better beer.

Sometimes we just can't control that as homebrewers. Now I'll usually smell the hops and add more if I can actually notice a lack of what "I think" the hop should smell like. Of course this is really hard and most of the time I just add about 10-20% extra because homebrew store hops are almost never as fresh as the hops breweries get

Quick Reply