Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Not Carbonating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
brew355
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not Carbonating

Second brew in a row that did not carbonate. I can't figure out what the hell is going wrong, because i brew each beer the same exact way. I think it tastes right, as far a flat beer goes. Can this be a sanatation issue or what???????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

What is your priming sugar/keg carbonation level at? Maybe you didn't add enough priming sugar, don't have enough yeast left, set the regulator pressure too low, etc. I don't think, from what you stated, that it is a sanitation issue. You would probably be experiencing either bombs or off-tastes. Post more specifics and we can help you better.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer
What is your priming sugar/keg carbonation level at? Maybe you didn't add enough priming sugar, don't have enough yeast left, set the regulator pressure too low, etc. I don't think, from what you stated, that it is a sanitation issue. You would probably be experiencing either bombs or off-tastes. Post more specifics and we can help you better.
Also, how long did you wait for it to carb up? Are all the bottles without carbonation? Sounds like you aren't using enough priming sugar (assuming you are bottling).

If the carbonation was merely inconsistent, it might be that you aren't mixing in the priming sugar well enough, or you have some problems with your capping.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Also, how long did you wait for it to carb up? Are all the bottles without carbonation? Sounds like you aren't using enough priming sugar (assuming you are bottling).

If the carbonation was merely inconsistent, it might be that you aren't mixing in the priming sugar well enough, or you have some problems with your capping.
I'm sweating bullets over a recent batch as well -- I used CarbTabs in it and, a week later, they are (a) not carbing up, and (b) developing little waxy floaters that are clearly undissolved chunks of CarbTab.

I'm also wondering if Irish moss is a good thing. Maybe it's making stuff flocculate too aggressively and leaving no yeast in the bottles? I dunno, but I don't like it! The last batch I bottled, I swished the last little bit of wort around in the carboy to make sure I got some yeast into it, and primed with corn see-rup! From 1.011 to 1.020. I think that one will carb up, dammit!

--Finn
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
I'm sweating bullets over a recent batch as well -- I used CarbTabs in it and, a week later, they are (a) not carbing up, and (b) developing little waxy floaters that are clearly undissolved chunks of CarbTab.
You need to wait three weeks, not one week. Just not enough time.

Give those bottles a gentle swirl - that might speed it up a bit.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
You need to wait three weeks, not one week. Just not enough time.

Give those bottles a gentle swirl - that might speed it up a bit.
Aha! OK, that makes sense now that I think about it. My ciders carbed up like the place was on fire, but they were made with champagne yeast, primed to 1.040 and pasteurized at about 1.030 to keep 'em sweet. A mostly-attenuated bev'ridge would, of course, behave differently ...
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
brew355
Recipes 

The last brew i did was an extract kit and i used the priming sugar in the kit. Don't remember the exact amount, but i remember checking that it was the correct amount as listed in the kit instructions. From their i followed the boiling procedure for the corn sugar, and then poured it in the bottling bucket as stated. Then the beer was transfered from the secondary fermenter to the bottling bucket, then bottled.

I have noticed that in the last two brews, that the yeast hasn't been as active based upon the amount of head in the primary ferm. The first unsuccessful brew occured when i had a guest brewer over, and when sanitizing he did use dish soap on the primary. I cleaned this out to where i thought it was okay. I have heard that this will linger around and cause head problems. Not sure if i just need to get this cleaned out better or what?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Another question: what temperature do you store your bottles at after filling them? It should be room temperature for a week or two, then you can chill them.

Unrinsed soaps can definitely be a head-killer, but that shouldn't affect your yeast or carbonation. Having too little carbonation will also result in little to no head. I suggest getting the carbonation thing figured out first, then see how your head formation is going.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
brew355
Recipes 

Bottles are stored in my kitchen. I generally keep the place at 65 degrees. The brew before last, i waited about five weeks just because, and nothing happened what so ever. It was pretty much the same as it was when it came out of the secondary. I have no idea what the problem is. Soap wouldn't stop carbonation?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew355
Bottles are stored in my kitchen. I generally keep the place at 65 degrees. The brew before last, i waited about five weeks just because, and nothing happened what so ever. It was pretty much the same as it was when it came out of the secondary. I have no idea what the problem is. Soap wouldn't stop carbonation?
I had the same issue with my first brew, a PM cream stout. It did not carb after having been in the bottle for more than 3 weeks at room temp.

I took someone's suggestion to warm the bottles up a bit and to agitate them to resuspend the yeast. So if you've got a laundry room where you could leave your beer, do a couple of loads of laundry to heat up the area, and agitate the bottles once a day for a week.

My beer carbed quickly after I started doing that. If you don't have a warm laundry room you can use, maybe try a warm (NOT HOT) water bath.

Quick Reply