Noob, gelatin and cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumbleBeeBeer

Reaction score
Here's the scoop, first brew and realize I may have done some stuff not quite "right".
Brewed a brown english ale on the 12/23. Didn't bother to check anything and threw it in the primary in the hall closet (proceded to asplode sometime between xmas eve and xmas morning, good time SWMBO laughed her ass off). Everything seemed to go pretty fine, other than that. Learned a few things about my pcocess, etc.

Fast forward to 12/29 (yes, only six days) it had stopped doing much of anything. I didn't a little research (obviously not enough LOL) and decided that would be the perfect time to rack to secondary and toss in the wine fridge to cold crash at 41 degrees (as low as the wine fridge digital thermo goes).

Now, I want to get it out of there and into some bottles. I want to toss some gelatin in first. Would it be ok to toss it in now and let it come back to temp in the garage and bottle in a few days?

Any recommendations regarding this or any other things I may have borked?

By the way, I have another brew from 12/30 in the hall closet now, an IPA, that went even better :rockin:

Thanks for any help in advance!

:drunk:

Meh, went for it. Made up a packet of Knox and slooooooowly (still some bubbles) poured it into the secondary that was cold crashing and put it back in the fridge.

Gonna bottle that shiat Saturday night :cross:

Gelatin works best in cold beer because then it pulls out the chill haze as well as the lingering yeast. When I use gelatin I do it after I cold crash and dump it in the keg as I'm racking the 32F beer into the keg. Works perfectly in about a day.

Will also work perfectly if you bottle. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to carb up your beer. Sounds to me like your plan is sound.

Well, we'll find out Saturday night! :tank:

I am bottling these first few batches. If I get any good at it, kegs will be next! :rockin:

Back