*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Signs of Carbonation after 2 months!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
dennisowens41
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default No Signs of Carbonation after 2 months!

On the weekend of National Home Brew Day(May 3rd) I brewed a Barleywine. I used California Ale V Yeast(Whitlabs- WLP051). My OG was 1.104. I left in my primary @70 Degrees Fahrenheit for 2 weeks. I moved to my Secondary for another 2 weeks @ 70F, and then bottled(The FG had came down to 1.029). I used 4.5OZ priming sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water that I added to the bottom of my bottling bucket, and then siphoned the Barleywine into that so that it swirled toghether, and then bottled. My Barlywine has been in bottles for comming up on 4 weeks now, so I opened a 12OZ bottle last night to check its progress, and there are absolutely no signs of Carbonation...It pours like wine. THe flavor is fantastic, and the "flatness" didnt stop me from drinking it, as the flavor is excellent. My question is what to do next. Ive read through what I can find on HBT, and everyone says...just wait longer...but at what point to I become proactive and do something, and what do I do???? I was considering popping all of the tops and adding a touch more of yeast to each, thinking that maybe it was all spent during fermentation, but I dont know if thats the correct course of action! Pleas help!

--Dennis

"Well ya see, Norm...Excessive intake of alcohol... kills brain cells...it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first...regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." (Cliff Calvin)

www.aleraisers.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisowens41 View Post
My Barlywine has been in bottles for comming up on 4 weeks now, so I opened a 12OZ bottle last night to check its progress, and there are absolutely no signs of Carbonation
--Dennis
It's Barleywine...that means it's a big beer, it simply may need a few more weeks to carb up...My porters and stouts take between 6-8 weeks, and yours is much bigger than my stout.

Consider rolling the bottles on their side to re-rouse the yeasts, and check back in another few weeks...A lot of people set their barleywines aside for 6 months to a year...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts

I agree. Big beers take longer.

Some of my stouts don't get carbed for 2 months.

You can't rush a natural process.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

My Dark Strong (1.114 - 1.021) has been 4 months now and just starting to carb up properly.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
dennisowens41
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice...just wasn't sure how to proceed...or when to be concerned! Will continue exercising patience(which I believe to be the hardest lesson to learn in making your own beer)!

"Well ya see, Norm...Excessive intake of alcohol... kills brain cells...it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first...regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." (Cliff Calvin)

www.aleraisers.com

Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Make sure those bottles are resting at around 71-72 degrees at a minimum.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
dennisowens41
Recipes 

Will do! I have a room in my house I installed a window unit in to keep it @ 69F-71F...which my wife appreciates since I wont let her turn the house AC below 78F!

www.aleraisers.com

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisowens41 View Post
Will do! I have a room in my house I installed a window unit in to keep it @ 69F-71F...which my wife appreciates since I wont let her turn the house AC below 78F!
Remember that is 71-72 minimum.

A little warmer is a little better.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Remember that is 71-72 minimum.

A little warmer is a little better.
Amen. I always place mine about three feet from a small space heater that I turn on low/ocillate for an hour each morning and each evening. I also pick up each bottle, invert it and give it a swirl every other day, just to rouse the yeast. I can carb most big beers in a few weeks like this. I had an Amber carb in four days like this once.

-Todd

Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

All that alcohol is toxic to the yeast, so they aren't going to be primed up to ferment out your dextrose like they would in a lower gravity batch. Just give them some time and a bit of help (i.e. proper temperature, and resuspend the yeast at the bottom of the bottles every week or so). For a barleywine of that size, you really want them to age for at least 6 months anyways, so there shouldn't be any rush to drink them too soon (although I certainly understand your anxiety to see how the batch turned out!).

Quick Reply