Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No-Chill vacuums and Pressurized Fermentation Aeration and Pitching Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #21
Bokonon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I had an order from amazon today that I was thinking would be perfect for your situation. http://bit.ly/ 500ml bottles that you can autoclave, unfortunately the price posted when I bought them must have been a typo because they are now up to $53 and I only paid $5.50.

My thought is to modify one of the tops with 2 dip tubes. One running all the way to the bottom and one short. On the long one put a hepa filter and the short one a tube running to your fermenter. Hook it up, invert the bottle, open any valves, then your vacuum and gravity should take care of the rest and any makeup air that goes in will be hepa filtered.

You could skip the inverting step and use co2 or o2 (maybe) to push it out like a mini keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #22
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, I'm really thinking the pop bottle so it is through away afterwords. I'm so pumped to try no-chill with a pressure ferment!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #23
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Time to get me a Sanke or 4!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #24
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
It's a 15 gallon keg, so not that easy a job though still doable. I hope to get this aeration issue resolved as convincingly as the pitching was answered.
I'm reading the Yeast book currently and just ran across something relevant. "Filling the headspace of the fermentor and shaking vigorously can result in dissolved oxygen levels past 10 ppm, but once you have bottled oxygen, it is much easier to use a sintered stone"

So no idea what PSI to go to, but clearly your idea of pressurizing with o2 and shaking will work (although you might want some industrial paint shakers for it)

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #25
WortMonger

Recipes 

You know, I searched that book and missed that when trying to get some answers before I posted this thread. Sure enough, I went back and checked and... page 78 more than half-way down is the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the info Bok. I had, I guess, not retained that bit of info while on the throne a couple of days ago. My book mark is on page 94, lol.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I'm reading the Yeast book currently and just ran across something relevant. "Filling the headspace of the fermentor and shaking vigorously can result in dissolved oxygen levels past 10 ppm, but once you have bottled oxygen, it is much easier to use a sintered stone"

So no idea what PSI to go to, but clearly your idea of pressurizing with o2 and shaking will work (although you might want some industrial paint shakers for it)
Good to see an anser to that. I had some rough calculations showing ~15ppm from regular headspace, non-pressurized, but I had a ton of bad assumptions in there.

Pressure to ppm is linear, so you should be able to adjust your pressurization and get fairly exact ppm numbers.

I would guess that you don't have to shake like crazy, you're not tryign to put 30psi in there, a couple of good shakes to get her started, and then just standard absorption plus yeast at the surface would finish it off I think.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #27
WortMonger

Recipes 

That's what I am thinking kaiser423. Talk about an easy beer. No chill, pitch with the throw of a tap handle, and then fill the head space and shake a couple of times. Wait till I see pressure and set the valve for the trip to FG.

Quick Reply