Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Results Thread - Post your good or bad notes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My no chill Hefe is perfect...

My Oktoberfeast Ale is about to get kegged, the samples tasted great though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh544 View Post
Are you using a hop adjustment schedule similar to the Pol or do you have a different schedule? Are you FWH for additions under 20 min as well as dry hopping where applicable?
Mostly using Pol's. The more "malty" beers have been better to me. The bitter American ones have been, well, more bitter than I would like. That could be from over-hopping or an evolving palette. Or heck, mislabeled bitter hops AA.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Four no-chill beers here:

Scottish 60/ extract: yeah, it's beer. No worries
Centennial Blonde: No chill haze, not bad at all
Mostly Dead Guy: Very smooth and complex, too dark to notice chill haze
Pale Rye Ale: Just went into bottles Saturday

Brewing a couple of lagers this weekend: we'll see how it works. I'm not expecting any problems.

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I've done 5 this summer:
1. Free Pale Ale (extract) - I somehow ended up with a can Coopers IPA and had some extra yeast lying around so I brewed it up. I wanted to see if I could get DMS so I did a 15 minute full boil. No DMS. No chill haze. Crappy but drinkable beer.
2. Hefe (Extract) - No DMS. Plenty of haze but that's the nature of the beast
3. Kolsch (Partial) - This was my first attempt at this style. Turned out great but there was a very slight chill haze. By very slight, I mean you could clearly make out objects on the other side but things like small writing were hard to make out.
4. Northern Brewer-Based Pale Ale (Partial) - Hoppier than I intended. I'll try adjusting per the Pol's chart next time around. Same recipe turned out better back in October when I just left the bucket outside to chill. I'm really mad because I treated this one like crap and it is crystal clear while the Kolsch had some haze. Grrr...
5. Simcoe-Based Pale Ale (AG) - Just cold crashing it now. Taste is where I expect it.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

I've done 4 ten gallon batches so far:

5g westvletern 12 (first runnings) and 5g westvleteren 8 (second runnings) - no chill haze when I took samples and no off flavors, currently cold conditioning/lagering.
10g of Ed's IPA - didn't modify the hop schedule for no-chill, has a beautiful hop kick, haze due to dry hopped pellets, no noticeable off-flavors already kicked 5g of it.
10g of Rye Pale Ale - made the mistake of not modifying the hop schedule and has a hint of harshness I guess due in part by the hops and rye malt. Enjoyable nonetheless, however there is some noticeable chill haze.
10g of Ed's Bavarian Hefe - adjusted for hop schedule, currently blowing off in the fermenters right now. I'll report later on this one.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
smiths9312
Recipes 

I've brewed a Kolsch and Hefe. No off flavors. Good beer.

I can't tell a difference between chilled and no-chilled beer. I also took the Kolsch to our local brew club and no one detected any off flavors.

I'll keep no-chilling at least for the summer and fall. I haven't decided what I'll do once my water turns cold again. On one hand, I'd sacrifice the extra fifteen minutes to chill my wort in order to be able to pitch my yeast and be done with it. But there's also the ease of making a real wort starter... Working w/ DME is no fun and it stinks up the kitchen. It's a PITA.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems I'll keep on no-chilling beer. The only possible exception might be IPAs. I haven't done a no-chill IPA yet for the reason that all the hop schedules are based on chilling beer.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths9312 View Post
The only possible exception might be IPAs. I haven't done a no-chill IPA yet for the reason that all the hop schedules are based on chilling beer.
I'm actually thinking of doing an all "cube-hopped" IPA. It just has to be good (Especially if I brew-in-a-bag...)

I've given up chilling. My plate chiller is now a very expensive paperweight - I literally use it to hold brew notes...

Got a Westy 12 "clone", a ruination "clone", and a few others on deck. I'll report back. Brewing slowing since kids are back in school - not enough "assistant brewers" around...

Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
I'm actually thinking of doing an all "cube-hopped" IPA. It just has to be good (Especially if I brew-in-a-bag...)

I've given up chilling. My plate chiller is now a very expensive paperweight - I literally use it to hold brew notes...

Got a Westy 12 "clone", a ruination "clone", and a few others on deck. I'll report back. Brewing slowing since kids are back in school - not enough "assistant brewers" around...
I brewed an a cube hopped APA last weekend. I used .5 oz of Magnum at 40 min then cube hopped 4 oz of Cascade and Cent. Took a sample last night, was mighty fine.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brewing my first no chill Pilsner this month!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #20
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you "no chill" I am guessing you are letting the beer set at room temp. Would setting the beer in a freezer to cool it faster be acceptable?

Quick Reply