Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Results Thread - Post your good or bad notes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #91
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
This is precisely why I dont beleive what I read on the interwebz
I know what you mean. People keep claiming that no-chill brewing works!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #92
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I know what you mean. People keep claiming that no-chill brewing works!
Like I said, I am convinced it doesnt. I think people need to figure it out for themselves.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #93
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1st let me say that I am a no chill brewer. I've been no-chilling for 8+ batches and been really digging the time & water savings.. but.. I have a question that keeps bouncing around in my head..

I mostly use pellet hops. I DONT bag or filter my hops, I put them straight into the kettle. When I transfer the hot wort from my kettle to my 1/6th barrel Sanke to No-Chill, its inevitable that a bunch of hops go with the wort into the Sanke to join my "cube hops". After the wort is cool (24hrs or so) I dump the sanke into my fermenting bucket - and yes - the hops from the cube & the boil end up in the fermenter.

Getting to the question: We've all heard tale of the "vegital/grassy" flavors that can come from dry-hopping for too long, and to be honest, I've tasted some of what I would call "vegital/grassy" flavors in my no-chill beers. Because the boil hops, cube & dry hops end up in the fermenter, is this the same as an extremely long dry hop in terms of this flavor? Could this be where this grassyness comes from?

If the answer is "you should bag your hops in the boil & remove them at the end of boil", then I'm confused about the 10 & 5 min additions - should a 5 min addition only be in the wort for the last 5 minutes & then removed, like a quick hop tea? What about the cube hops? Do you bag those and remove them when trasferring to the fermenter?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #94
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

JKnapp, this is strange not only are you scorching wort like me, you have the same hop/no-chill concerns I do! Anyway, I have been no-chilling for about 2yrs. For me, everything goes into the fermentor like you are describing. Beers with very light grain bills have a broccoli scent. Its super slight, but its there; SWMBO says I am nuts. I have been extremely disappointed with the late hop additions in the cube. There is NO WAY that a chilled 20min cascade addition tastes the same as a cube hop no chill. I am calling shananagans on the no-chill late hop additions. In my opinion no-chill should be used as a situation technique rather than a MO. I made an IPA per the hop chart circulating this DB and it did not have the nose or the flavor, but it was a hop bomb. Figures huh?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #95
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
I mostly use pellet hops. I DONT bag or filter my hops, I put them straight into the kettle. When I transfer the hot wort from my kettle to my 1/6th barrel Sanke to No-Chill, its inevitable that a bunch of hops go with the wort into the Sanke to join my "cube hops". After the wort is cool (24hrs or so) I dump the sanke into my fermenting bucket - and yes - the hops from the cube & the boil end up in the fermenter.

Getting to the question: We've all heard tale of the "vegital/grassy" flavors that can come from dry-hopping for too long, and to be honest, I've tasted some of what I would call "vegital/grassy" flavors in my no-chill beers. Because the boil hops, cube & dry hops end up in the fermenter, is this the same as an extremely long dry hop in terms of this flavor? Could this be where this grassyness comes from?

!
Jknapp,
I ferment w/ the total hop volume and don't observe the vegetal or grassy flavors...how long do you keep the beer on the hops in the fermenter. I usually only do about ten days??? Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply