Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #21
gxm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I pitched the NoChill Ale tonight with rehydrated US-05. The gravity was little lower at 1.046, so I must not have split up the sugars as well as I'd thought.

I'll post my initial tastings when I keg these in a couple of weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
rmseven4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed up a No-Chill Cascade Pale Ale about a month ago and it turned out nice. I did end up dry hopping it with some additional Cascade as I didn't take into account the late addition hops sitting at near boiling temps for an extended time. Cube hopping next time...

Used the US-05 yeast cake from the Pale to ferment a No-Chill Summer Citrus Wheat and the sample of that tastes great as well but will need to dry hop it as I didn't cube hop.

Racking a No-Chill clone of Stone's RIS onto the yeast cake today. Adjusted the hop schedule on this one, added at 40 minutes instead of 90.

Love this method and hope it continues to work as well as it has. Certainly saves some time and a LOT of water on brewday.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #23
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmseven4 View Post
Brewed up a No-Chill Cascade Pale Ale about a month ago and it turned out nice. I did end up dry hopping it with some additional Cascade as I didn't take into account the late addition hops sitting at near boiling temps for an extended time. Cube hopping next time...

Used the US-05 yeast cake from the Pale to ferment a No-Chill Summer Citrus Wheat and the sample of that tastes great as well but will need to dry hop it as I didn't cube hop.

Racking a No-Chill clone of Stone's RIS onto the yeast cake today. Adjusted the hop schedule on this one, added at 40 minutes instead of 90.

Love this method and hope it continues to work as well as it has. Certainly saves some time and a LOT of water on brewday.
Thanks for the updates.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #24
dirt55
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what's the actual product?!?!

So i keep hearing "cubes" or "jerries"...what is the actual USA product that people are buying to do this? is it the Natural 5 Gallon Containers from usplastics.com? I'm really interested in trying this out.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use these: 5 Gal UN Approved Plastic Carboys - US Plastic Corporation

Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I never thought this would be such a controversy. No chill is a part of every batch I brew. I use the Ale Pail bucket and a blow off hose. After the brew is complete, I do a whirlpool and pour into the bucket. Then I place the lid on and place the blowoff hose in the sanitized milk jug. Why blow off tube? Water will get sucked in when the wort cools if using a standard air lock. There's no way an entire hose full of water gets sucked into the pail. My other sanitized milk jug is filled with wort and used as the starter since it takes far less time to cool. In the winter, the wort is ready to pitch after an overnight cooling. In the summer, it can take up to two days in the basement. My copper and garden hose wort cooler has sat untouched for a loooong time now.

My reasoning is that it seems more sanitary to pour the boiling hot wort into the sanitized bucket and seal it up than it is to cool the wort in the open air and then pour it in. Now I'm curious. I think for my next pale ale, I might do two 5 gallons and have a blind test.

For those in the know, is there any difference between the plastic carboys mentioned here and the 10 gallon water jugs you can pick up at Costco or Sams Club?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
For those in the know, is there any difference between the plastic carboys mentioned here and the 10 gallon water jugs you can pick up at Costco or Sams Club?
Probably just the thickness.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #28
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
I pitched the NoChill Ale tonight with rehydrated US-05. The gravity was little lower at 1.046, so I must not have split up the sugars as well as I'd thought.

I'll post my initial tastings when I keg these in a couple of weeks.
I kegged these two last night. Both still have a slight "young" aroma, which usually goes away after about a month.
The flavor of each beer is very similar. If anything, the no-chill beer has a fuller hop flavor, but I could be making that up too. If it exists, it is very subtle.
SWMBO could not tell the young, uncarbed samples apart, and she has a pretty good palate. In general she tells me when a beer is ready, since I'll overlook minor flaws, and she says "Bleh, not ready yet".

So far, the chill/no-chill experiment seems to be pointing to "different process", and not "flawed beer". Since I brewed these two, 3 of my last 4 have been no chill. I really like the easy brew day, and I'm saving about 50 gallons of cooling water for the 10 gallon batches.

It'll be another few weeks before these get carbed and served side by side from the kegerator.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #29
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

wait. Can I use my six gallon plastic bucket and simply pour my boiling wort directly into that? then use a blow off into a large container w/ sanitized solution until it cools?

then pull the blow off tube or lid off and pitch my dry yeast?

Also, what is a Real Wort Starter and why would want want to use it?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #30
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
wait. Can I use my six gallon plastic bucket and simply pour my boiling wort directly into that? then use a blow off into a large container w/ sanitized solution until it cools?

then pull the blow off tube or lid off and pitch my dry yeast?

Also, what is a Real Wort Starter and why would want want to use it?
You are going to suck A LOT of that sanitizer into your bucket, I can tell you that. There is A LOT of shrinkage of the headspace and the wort while it cools. NOT a good idea.

RWS is where you use the actual wort you will be fermenting as the starter solution. The yeast will be accustomed to the wort environment that they will eventually be pitched into. You will have a more active culture to start the ferment quickly (important if your wort has been sitting for more than 24 hours already IMHO). You no longer have to buy DME for starters.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply