Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "No Chill" Containers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #51
chucke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheBear View Post
would one recommend the 6 or 5 Gallon winpak.
For a 5 gallon batch, use a 6 gallon Winpak if you plan to ferment in the Winpak. Otherwise use the 5 gallon.

Note; the rectangular ones with the secondary small hole aren't good for no-chill. When the wort cools the pressure will suck in the little paper gasket in the little cap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #52
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRock947 View Post
After thughs' response, I did look around for 10L and 2.5 gallon containers and I saw that is a lot of them out there. I may stick to using my brew kettle for a few more batches but the potential...OMG! The thought of having wort ready for pitching on my schedule just blows my mind!
I've used three types of 2.5 containers from US Plastics. IMO, the Square Carboy is best. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...=searchresults

It costs a bit more than the others, but it's the most durable and the position of the cap makes draining it easy.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #53
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just wondering which one would be the better choice. the main no chill thread lists one and the other one is posted right above. Looking to order tomorrow.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...4093&catid=816

or

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...5051&catid=459

Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #54
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

A couple years back when I started no-chill I bought one of each of those. Since then I've bought 9 more of the square carboys and zero of the other ones. IMO, the square one is much better. It's heavier, the opening is in the corner thus allowing you to pour out all the contents. The first one, the natural 2.5 gallon feels cheap. The way the spout is configured makes it hard to get all of the liquid out. There are a few other minor complaints.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #55
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucke View Post
A couple years back when I started no-chill I bought one of each of those. Since then I've bought 9 more of the square carboys and zero of the other ones. IMO, the square one is much better. It's heavier, the opening is in the corner thus allowing you to pour out all the contents. The first one, the natural 2.5 gallon feels cheap. The way the spout is configured makes it hard to get all of the liquid out. There are a few other minor complaints.
Thank you. Thats what I was looking for.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #56
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Turkey bags for no chill???

I've read elsewhere in these forums where guys who hate to clean buckets line them with turkey oven bags then toss the trub/bags. I was wondering if you could use them to chill wort.

Advantages would be:
1) use any old bucket...lids optional
2) when the wort cools the bag would contract but not the bucket
3) squeeze the air out before twist tie...so no oxygen
4) open bag, pull top over bucket rim, aerate, pitch, attach nice clean lid, ferment in bag (fwiw, I'm quite certain the bag is sanitary from the store but the hot wort would do it again...or you could wait and do some flame out hopping in kettle before filling the bag.)
5) throw away trub in the bag and skip messy clean up and smelly buckets (although, frankly, I love the hop smell in my buckets)

Disadvantages:
1) Cost about $1.25@ (reuse if not used to ferment???)
2) I tested with cold water and they only hold about 4 gallons in oder to have enough bag left over to gather and twist tie.
3) nick the bag and you have a real mess inside the bucket.

I like the "pro's"...plus I'd probably rack to a carboy, aerate and pitch...does anyone know of some other liner that's cheap, can handle the heat and is bigger than the standard grocery store Reynolds turkey bag???

BTW, I just racked my first no-chill (brown ale) today for a 4-day stay in a carboy with a little willamette dry hop. Looked crystal clear, smelled great and tasted good...I almost was tempted to skip the dry hop and just bottle...

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #57
jrubins
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was literally just about to buy a slow chill / no chill container... But then I got to thinking : which is better a 7 gal win pack or a 6 gal brewing bucket? Win pack has a nice spigot which is convenient, but a spigot less bucket is completely sealed. And a bucket is easy to clean, too.
So which is better- all other things equal?

In bottles: Last Day IPA, AAPL American Pale Ale
On deck: Some sort of porter type thing

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything? 42. The number of bottles in my first batch of homebrew? 42. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #58
jrubins
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe I'm just way overthinking this - perhaps I could just use my bottling bucket/fermentor? The only problem I see with that is that it could suck in air through the hole in the lid. In which case, I could attach my airlock and fill it with some vodka so that the air would get sterilized as it gets sucked in.

Or maybe one of these things? http://www.rei.com/product/708992/re...-carrier-5-gal
Reviews don't seem to good though.

This was what I was going to get initially, before I became filled with self-doubt . http://www.rei.com/product/618168/re...a-tainer-7-gal
It just seems so difficult to clean ...

thanks

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything? 42. The number of bottles in my first batch of homebrew? 42. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #59
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have two of these 'Fort-Pak' cubes, item #75001 from usplastics.

There is also a 'lightweight' version, #75004.

I have two spare 63 mm caps, #900507.

I now have two of these for very very small brew days, #71153.

6/29/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 10-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #60
jrubins
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks madscientist those look great, but I worry about cleaning them. Do you find it challenging to clean them thoroughly ? Ideally, I don't want to buy anything else if I don't have to. I'm just trying to avoid the time sink that is chilling. That makes me think "bottling bucket", but would that suck in too much air?

Quick Reply