Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "No Chill" Containers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #31
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 349

+1 I do agree that if you plan to store the wort for more than a few days, you need to select your storage vessel carefully.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Regardless of what you call it, if you allow air to get sucked into your container, you are asking for major trouble if you want to keep the wort stored for weeks. A day or maybe 2 will probably be fine. This is the point I was trying to make, if you want store the wort long term, use a sealed Winpak or pressurized corny. If you just want to wait until the next day to pitch your yeast, do what you want. Long term storage is not the same thing as pitching yeast in 24 hours.

EDIT: I missed djt17's last post, who kinda said what I said already :>)

Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #33
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd
Regardless of what you call it, if you allow air to get sucked into your container, you are asking for major trouble if you want to keep the wort stored for weeks. A day or maybe 2 will probably be fine. This is the point I was trying to make, if you want store the wort long term, use a sealed Winpak or pressurized corny. If you just want to wait until the next day to pitch your yeast, do what you want. Long term storage is not the same thing as pitching yeast in 24 hours.

EDIT: I missed djt17's last post, who kinda said what I said already :>)
Totally. Slow chill & no chill are primarily the same, within reason. But all we're talking about here is basically avoiding quick-cooling equipment and the cost/ work involved. Seems like we're all getting good result with both. I'm looking forward to my next brew wherein I'll "slow-chill" in a corny, ice bath, which seems cool. I think I'll be able to put a lil gas on it & push out the cold break as well. Resulting in even clearer beer! I'm just guessing here. YMMV. Behold! The art and craft of homebrewing!!
To Each Their Own!!!! Hahahahahahahahaaghhh!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #34
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
FYI: the aquatainer does have a spigot, it's just screwed into the inside of the cap when you buy it. Works very well if you lay the container on the side and let it cool. When you go to drain it, all the crud will have settled into the bottom and the spigot is an inch or so higher so you don't get any crud in the fermenter (it leaves @ .75 gallon, so you have account for that in your volumes but you can always strain it through a coffee filter and salvage a quart of wort to make a starter with).

I have wrapped a plastic sandwich bag sprayed with starsan around the spigot in the pic below, but you get the idea.

I purchased one of these from the Academy Sports that's walking distance from the house since my Walmart doesn't carry them. So, I guess I will drain the hot wort into this Aquatainer at flameout, being careful not to splash it around. I'll set up the lid so that the spigot is on the outside. It doesn't squeeze easily - but maybe it does when it has hot wort in it. After tightening the lids, I'll turn it about to sanitize all interior surfaces with the hot wort. Then I'll lie it on its side on a table to cool overnight.

I guess, the next day, I'll spray sanitizer all around the intake cap and open it slowly to release the vacuum. I'll spray out the spigot and drain the wort into the Better Bottle. It's OK to let it splash about now in order to oxygenate it. The rest is routine.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #35
generalzod4791
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
I purchased one of these from the Academy Sports that's walking distance from the house since my Walmart doesn't carry them. So, I guess I will drain the hot wort into this Aquatainer at flameout, being careful not to splash it around. I'll set up the lid so that the spigot is on the outside. It doesn't squeeze easily - but maybe it does when it has hot wort in it. After tightening the lids, I'll turn it about to sanitize all interior surfaces with the hot wort. Then I'll lie it on its side on a table to cool overnight.

I guess, the next day, I'll spray sanitizer all around the intake cap and open it slowly to release the vacuum. I'll spray out the spigot and drain the wort into the Better Bottle. It's OK to let it splash about now in order to oxygenate it. The rest is routine.

Thanks,
Keith
Have you thought of turning the aquatainer upright and popping a blowoff hose into it?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts

The only problem with fermenting in the Aquatainer (or any container that you use for the no-chill process) is that you NEED to oxygenate the wort before pitching your yeast, either mechanically or with an infusion system. Draining it into a fermentor (with lots of splashing) accomplishes the necessary aeration.

nurture my pig

Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #37
dozer5454
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just posted on the no chill thread, but I went by WinCo and found a 5 gallon HDPE with a screw top. dumped 212 degree water in there as a test and it had no problems. Other than trying to squeeze out all the air. I pushed out some water that got on my leg. Needless to say there was some language involved.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #38
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default "No Chill" Containers

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzod4791 View Post
Have you thought of turning the aquatainer upright and popping a blowoff hose into it?
Yes, I have. I admit that it's the childishness in me, but I still like to be able to see what's going on in the fermenter. I spent money on a couple ported 6 gal Better Bottles, so I want to use them.

I had considered setting the aquatainer on its side - spigot on lower corner, vent opening on upper corner - and attaching a blow-off tube to the vent opening. I think the most of the trub would settle below the level of the spigot this way.

The container seems pretty opaque, so I'm thinking that it would be difficult to tell if it's really clean. True, the Better Bottles have a narrow neck (not as narrow as the glass carboys), but you can tell if they're clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes
The only problem with fermenting in the Aquatainer (or any container that you use for the no-chill process) is that you NEED to oxygenate the wort before pitching your yeast, either mechanically or with an infusion system. Draining it into a fermentor (with lots of splashing) accomplishes the necessary aeration.
I agree. I had figured that I would drain the wort from the aquatainer into the Better Bottle by allowing it to splash into the fermenter.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #39
lylo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I too use the blue aquatainer.I found when draining into my carboy from the spigot that there is a fair bit of splashing onto the floor etc.
I fixed that by putting a large funnel into the carboy and bringing it up as close to the spigot as possible.
I also keep a sanitized hop sack handy that I can put over the spigot near the end of the draining. If there should be more trub than expected the sack will filter most of the solids out.
Please everyone.Take your soigot apart and sanitize after everybrew.What a screw up I had!!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #40
IamTheBear
Recipes 

just used the 7 gallon aquatainer think i'm switch to a 5 gallon something. derformed plastic doesn't wanna reform.

Quick Reply