Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "No Chill" Containers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Anybody know the dimensions of the 5 gall square winpak???
thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
Like robanna mentioned a few posts back, I think people are talking about 2 different things when it comes to no-chill or 'slow chill'.
How long are you waiting to pitch yeast? If it's the next day not pressurizing should be fine (you are probably sucking in bad bugs but pitching your yeast before they have time to take hold). If you are holding onto the wort for a week or more like I do quite often, I can't believe you'd be fine by not pressurizing. You'll create a vacuum which will pull in unclean air and after a week you'd be on the way to brewing a wild yeast brew.
I see no difference between no chill or slow chill. Neither uses chiller equipment or methods, both are allowed to chill naturally(?) having said that, I pitch within 24 hrs. I am not sure I am sucking in any bugs (I aint no scientist)

Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Anybody know the dimensions of the 5 gall square winpak???
thanks.
16" high, 11 1/4" deep, 9 1/2' wide

Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
Keith,
Can you please post a link for each of these where one can get that type of "cube"

1. The rectangular and round Winpacks from US Plastics
2. The blue Aquatainer from Walmart
3. A cube-shaped container that can be dumped out of
4. A cube-shaped container that has a spigot
ArcLight,

I'm don't want to sound like a butt, but I don't have the links onhand. Todd posted links to 3 of the options. I'd recommend that you go to the "Exploring No Chill" thread - the link I included in my original post. Dr_Deathweed, the OP of that thread, eventually went back and edited his initial posting to include some links as well. Particularly useful is a link to a Hop Schedule modification that, I believe, was designed by "The Pol".

You might search for "container", jerrycan, cube, or a few other container-like words within that thread. If you feel up to it, I would recommend reading thru the entire thread. About 2/3 way thru, I wished that I had saved some of the links given therein. So - save a link to interesting posts as you read.

Hope that helps,
Keith

Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucke View Post
16" high, 11 1/4" deep, 9 1/2' wide
thanks!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>Like robanna mentioned a few posts back, I think people are talking about 2 different things when it comes to no-chill or 'slow chill'.

I think they are exactly the same. Its 2 terms for the same thing.
In Australia, where this is common, they call it No Chill, not Slow Chill.
The idea is you pump the hot wort into a cube, squeeze out the extra air, and let it sit until ready to use, which is usually the next day. But you can go longer, as in Australia they sell wort that has been prepared this way for use by brewers.

If you want to not use your wort right away, that doesn't change the meaning of No Chill, since it wasn't cooled after flame out.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
robanna
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Slow Chill and No Chill are not the exact same. (maybe I'm not useing the terms 100% correct but there needs to be known that there is a difference) I had read somewhere that Slow Chill is to be pitch as soon as it's cool (within the next few days); No Chill is intended to be stored and pitch at some point it the unknown future (days, weeks, months). The early post in this tread were mixing the two and I was just trying to clear up a difference.

I slow chill. My process is, let the wort cool in the kettle while I clean up a bit and pour it into the plastic bucket fermentor after about 20-40 minutes after flameout (maybe 140°), top-off, and set the lid on loosely. The lid on my bucket does not even seal tight when it is fully on. I pitch the next morning when it's cool. I've never had a problem.

Try that with No Chill that you are planning on pitching the yeast in 3 months and I can guarantee that your wort will be toast if not deadly. For that you need a tightly sealed container able to handle near boiling temps so the wort can be put it in to help sterilize the container.

I can see a difference in the container needed between those two methods. You could use a 'cube' to slow chill but it's not necessary. It is absolutely necessary for No Chill to have a container that you 1) can put near boil wort into 2) handle the suck-back 3) will be air tight. A Slow Chill container doesn't really 'need' to have any of those qualities.

We need to differentiate between a contain intended to store the wort vs letting the wort cool on it's own before picthing the yeast.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 361

The Aussies developed no chill after years of water restrictions. All the research I have done on no chill, I have never heard of "slow" chill even if you pitch the next day. I always pitch within 24 hrs. I no chill!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
robanna
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post

I'd really like this to be a thread to which people looking to try no-chill can come to for quick information and recommendations on particular containers to use.

Thank you,
Keith
Back to the OP, I think it does matter how long you plan to store the wort before pitching. If you just want to try letting the wort cool on it's own and pitch when it's cool then you can do that in the kettle. I personally put it into a plastic bucket fermentor and in the summer time I put that into a swamp cooler where it'll stay during fermenting. I don't have experience with other containers.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
robanna
Recipes 

Looks like I'm wrong about Slow Chill vs No Chill. I read it on another site and it's the only place I have read Slow Chill used that way but it somehow stuck with me. Most other places I'm seeing slow chill used it is putting the kettle into a cold bath or ice water but not worrying about getting it down to pitching temp in a real hurry but maybe taking several hours vs No Chill which would take several MORE hours. Anyways....Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Quick Reply