Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No chill "chilling" ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I find it stressful as well, and as you know here in MN - its damn cold. I brew in the garage and don't really know what to do with the draining water from the chiller...ice rink in the front yard?? Getting the water back into the house is what I did last week - it was a nightmare - every 5 mins running in with a 5G bucket. Even in the summer - stirring the wort to get efficient temperature reductions is a pain, and the chiller never fits properly into the keggle with the dip tube and thermo in the way. Was thinking of no-chill for winter use, and perhaps a plate chiller for other times. seems way easier.

For those stating that you could not pour boiling wort into glass or plastic - this is true - to a point. The vessels that I see people use for no-chill are designed to take temps that high. CLearly a better bottle would just melt and you could have a dangerous break with a glass carboy. Use the proper vessel and your good I imagine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #22
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ide be afraid of cracking a carboy... I just use the plate chiller, takes it down to 70 in one pass.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #23
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
I find it stressful as well, and as you know here in MN - its damn cold.
As cold as it is in MN, I would put a lid on the kettle and roll w/ it, and let it chill, It won't take that long, and your wort won't get infected...transfer to a sanitized fermenter in the morning and pitch lots of yeast. It doesn't have to be that difficult! Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised!

OMG hauling all your chilling water back in the house, that is free fitness club, what a pain in the a$$.

If I lived in MN and had a basement...I would get a simple electric element and add it to a pot, or use a heatstick and brew in the basement.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Already chatting with my wife on converting the basement (finished with a kitchen area) into an electric set up.

I will try a no-chill this weekend!

Quick Reply