Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Case Study

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
hal2814
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have some pictures of the bottle unchilled. The bottle is now chilling in the beer fridge. I will post the pics with the rest later. Here's the recipe entry for the IPA in this study. I halved the Northern Brewer to 1oz and did the 1/2oz Cascade that is 1 minute in the recipe as a dry hop in primary on day 6 when I noticed the krausen fall. I put it on BeerTools back in 2003 and have brewed it 3 or 4 times. I rarely take an OG on a beer I've done before but the FG was 1.02. It was in primary for 10 days, cold crashed for 2 days at about 38F (my usual beer fridge temp), and then bottled. It hit FG at day 6 and stayed there until the cold crash.

As for the no chill-specific info, it was brewed October 13, 2007. I didn't note the outside temperature at the time, but according to the NWS archives, the high and low were 76 and 45, respectively, in my area. Brewing wrapped up some time after 9PM that night and the yeast was pitched from a 1.5 qt starter the next day some time in the afternoon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Wow, if I cant taste it... does it even matter if it is there?
Maybe not to you, but my concern is that I may be making beers that aren't delicious to others. Just because I might not be able to taste it, doesn't mean that others can't too.

So it seems that chill haze, DMS, and HSA are bogymen to most brewers?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Maybe not to you, but my concern is that I may be making beers that aren't delicious to others. Just because I might not be able to taste it, doesn't mean that others can't too.

Seems that way...

But it sells books.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

This is important to me, because I know people who would like to brew, and being able to simplify the process and cut corners could be very helpful in getting their interest in brewing.

There have been Sooo many posts over the years that claim that a wort chiller made a huge difference in their beers' flavor. Could they have been wrong all this time? Or has their brewing experience just made it seem as though that addition to their process is the big factor?

I know that my process has changed much from batch to batch as I learned the ropes, so it would be hard for me to say that any one thing has improved my brewing dramatically.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Chill haze - not a boogeyman at all, and too many write it off as just an aesthetic issue.

DMS - while it is pretty damn difficult to have severe DMS issues in most ales, it is important to still be concerned about when developing technique. A strong uncovered boil, strong hot break and quick cooling (though anecdotally, the quick cooling is subject to debate) are all contributing factors (listed in order of importance, IMO).

HSA - that horse is dead.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #26
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
In terms of my own process and system, no-chill doesn't offer any advantages compelling enough to justify experimenting with a new procedure.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
Of course, Pol is a no-chill, fly-sparging, all electric brewer. It doesn't get any more cultish than that! Everyone knows no-chill, brew-in-a-bag, all electric is the only tru way to brew... (I'm kidding Pol...)
No you're not.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Interestingly, I did not find any information about this on The Brewing Network. Seeing as they are on the cutting edge of homebrewing technology, I posted a query regarding anyone's experience with this. So far, not one post has come up. I seriously expected at least some comment, if not some flaming.

I mean, Jamil advocates a "whirlpool chiller" which is supposedly one of the best methods of chilling your whole wort as quickly as possible. I'm guessing that at least HE thinks chilling is important.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Interestingly, I did not find any information about this on The Brewing Network.
How then would B3/NB/etc sell lots of shiny wort chillers if they said no-chill was good?

Yes, I'm that cynical...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #29
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Interestingly, I did not find any information about this on The Brewing Network. Seeing as they are on the cutting edge of homebrewing technology, I posted a query regarding anyone's experience with this. So far, not one post has come up. I seriously expected at least some comment, if not some flaming.

I mean, Jamil advocates a "whirlpool chiller" which is supposedly one of the best methods of chilling your whole wort as quickly as possible. I'm guessing that at least HE thinks chilling is important.
There was a show on the Brewing Network a while back about DMS issues. In this episode they spoke VERY briefly about no chill, and wrote it off completely. Because, of course... you NEED to BUY the whirlpool chiller. I mean, in that episode alone they plugged his whirlpool chiller about 30 times. It was... pretty obvious.

A lot of you forget that those doing no chill... used to use IC's! To that effect... I see no difference in the beer I have created thus far.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #30
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
How then would B3/NB/etc sell lots of shiny wort chillers if they said no-chill was good?

Yes, I'm that cynical...
Me too...

Listen to the DMS episode on the Brewing Network and listen to how many plugs they have for Jamils whirlpool chiller. In that same episode they write off no chill brewing as well. That was the first and last episode I listened to... because it is just like the HB books I have, exclaiming that all of the answers and techniques have already been discovered. Wow, egos.

Quick Reply