Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Case Study

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No-chill has its proponents here on HBT - and they're a vociferous lot.

In terms of my own process and system, no-chill doesn't offer any advantages compelling enough to justify experimenting with a new procedure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
In terms of my own process and system, no-chill doesn't offer any advantages compelling enough to justify experimenting with a new procedure.
I thought the same until my plate chiller clogged for the 50th time (yes, I used hop-bags, etc.) and wanted to chunk it through the window. Like you said, this was my system, and no-chill took allot of the frustration and complexity out of my brew day. I no longer have to screw around with hoses for the chiller, etc. Worked for me, maybe not for others. The RWS was just a nice side effect.

Of course, Pol is a no-chill, fly-sparging, all electric brewer. It doesn't get any more cultish than that! Everyone knows no-chill, brew-in-a-bag, all electric is the only tru way to brew... (I'm kidding Pol...)

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2122 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

I'm curious about this, although TBH, I really like my CFC. I've been able to keep it form plugging up even on IPAs, by whirlpooling and being careful. I'm more curious about No Chill from an academic standpoint.

My question would be, what about DMS? Obviously people wouldn't do it if there was a concern about DMS. However, science, and previous experience, tells us that cooling the wort slowly will allow DMS precursors to form, which can create the signature flavor later in the beer.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Just came across this thread.

Well, here is why I chose no chill as an option. Keep in mind, this aflls under the same sort of thing as, why do you choose HERMS? Why do you choose electric? Why do you prefer IPAs to malty beers? Brewing methods are as individual as the styles we brew, so my pro's, may be your cons...

I came across the No Chill thing in BYO, the ONLY time I have ever read BYO since my rig was in that issue. It was the middle of winter, when it was 10F at the spigot and my hoses were frozen. Not to mention a good portion of my IC exhaust water was going to run out onto my driveway and make a nice ice skating rink. SO, it was an opportune time to try this out.

I mean, I have less equipment.
I dont use chilling water
I dont have to clean that stupid coil
It created a scenario where I can make a starter with my wort (no more DME)
It leaves one less step on brew day

Are there HUGE advantages? No. Are there HUGE advantages to using a HERMS? No. Are there HUGE advantages to going all electric? No. There are some small, as I percieve it, advantages to all of these. Yes. Do I enjoy the experimentation? Yes.

I get bored easily, that is why I do most of what I do. If it makes my brew day MORE difficult, I wont try it. If it improves it, even slightly, I will give it a whirl. I am just really never satisfied with "well, this is how everyone does it... so, it must be the only way".

Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'm curious about this, although TBH, I really like my CFC. I've been able to keep it form plugging up even on IPAs, by whirlpooling and being careful. I'm more curious about No Chill from an academic standpoint.

My question would be, what about DMS? Obviously people wouldn't do it if there was a concern about DMS. However, science, and previous experience, tells us that cooling the wort slowly will allow DMS precursors to form, which can create the signature flavor later in the beer.
Yah, the DMS horse has been beat... it is dead. It doesnt exist in my No Chill beers. Nor does botulism.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2122 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

I for one, have been interested in learning more about how to taste beer, and have gone so far as to download study guides and whatnot, and considering taking a BJCP exam in the future. My concern is that I may not be able to taste certain flaws in my own beer.

I've read that as many as 1 in 5 people may not be able to taste DMS in modest amounts.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
The Pol
Recipes 

Wow, if I cant taste it... does it even matter if it is there?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
flyangler18
Recipes 

Quote:
I've read that as many as 1 in 5 people may not be able to taste DMS in modest amounts.
DMS is really only a concern in pale lagers, because there simply isn't anything to mask those offensive flavors. No yeast character, big hop character, specialty grain character, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
The Pol
Recipes 

Also, even Pale malt is kilned to such a degree that DMS precursors are destroyed to a large degree. Do a 90-100 minute boil and you are reducing the quantity even further. I dont know much about masking flavors, but I do know that pale malt (not pilsner) contains a lot less DMS precursor to begin with.

Pilsner malt is the only malt that contains a large amount of these precursors... using a 2-3SRM pale ale malt will provide much much less of this precursor.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
flyangler18
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Also, even Pale malt is kilned to such a degree that DMS precursors are destroyed to a large degree. Do a 90-100 minute boil and you are reducing the quantity even further. I dont know much about masking flavors, but I do know that pale malt (not pilsner) contains a lot less DMS precursor to begin with.

Pilsner malt is the only malt that contains a large amount of these precursors... using a 2-3SRM pale ale malt will provide much much less of this precursor.
I'd take it a step further - and say that even a grain bill with 80% Pilsner (like a Belgian Golden Strong) doesn't need a 90 minute boil. A strong boil and strong hot break are really the prime factors, not necessarily the length of the boil. I've made some very Pils-heavy ales using both a 60 minute and a 90 minute boil with no perceivable differences between the two boil times in the final product.

Quick Reply