Nitrgen how to ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
So I wanna brew a stout: I've access to a big herkin cylinder of nitrogen,a medical grade regulator and the necessary hardware.I've a wife lookin' for Christmas ideas(STOUT FAUCET)(incase she's reading).I've a space in the kego-rator just screamin for a cornie of stout .....
What do I need to do in order to enjoy a good stout ? What's the procedure for proper operation of a stout system ?
I can even envision a cornie of maybe a Bass ale clone-Ah...I can taste the "real" Black and Tan now-Mmmm.....
Any info on this-My guest for a stout would be appreciated. Thanks in advance-Shane

I use beer gas (75/25 CO2/N2 mix) at about 28 PSI, fridge temp is around 48 degrees. Beer line length doesn't really matter with a stout faucet. The beer needs to have a relatively low carbonation level, though, or you'll get a glass of nothing but foam.

Just curious, where do you get your beer gas?
It doesn't sound like a welding supply item. Do places like AirGas and Praxair carry it, or is it only a berage supply item?

My welding supply company sells a beer gas that's spec'd to Gusiness's recipe. So I'm sure the same place you get CO2 from handles the Nitrogen beergas :)

I use beer gas (75/25 CO2/N2 mix) at about 28 PSI, fridge temp is around 48 degrees. Beer line length doesn't really matter with a stout faucet. The beer needs to have a relatively low carbonation level, though, or you'll get a glass of nothing but foam.

if you want regular carbonation level and dont care about head to much, can you add a few drops of vegetbal oil to the keg? would they elimate a mostly foam pint when using beer gas?

That would eliminate the creamy foam, which is the whole point of the stout faucet. If you don't care about head then don't waste your money on a stout faucet. There is no point in beergas.

well i meant for styles other then stouts and porters. like a cream ale that you want fully carbed

well i meant for styles other then stouts and porters. like a cream ale that you want fully carbed

I'm not talking about any particular style either, I'm talking about the use of beergas and the faucet. If you want regular carbonation and regular foam, use a regular faucet. If you want regular carbonation and no foam whatsoever, try the oil and the regular faucet. If you want a creamy head and mouthfeel use beergas and a stout faucet (applicable to many UK styles).

i thought if you carbonate to normal levels, then use beergas at 35psi, with a regular faucet, it will be mostly foam?

suppose you have a beergas setup, no co2 setup. you only have 1 stout faucet and 1 regular faucet. you use the stout faucet for stouts and porters. you like to other styles on the other faucet, such as blonde ales, that you want full carbonated. the blonde ale is dispensed with the beergas setup also since thats all you have.

so if you carbonate the blonde ale to regular levels using priming sugar, then try to dispense through the regular faucet using beergas, will it be all foam? if so, would a few drops of veg oil or something into the keg solve the all foam problem?

Okay I get it now. You could balance the lines so that you got a standard pour from the regular faucet pushed by beergas. The right length lines or one or two of these https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/ would do just fine. You'd have a relatively low carbonation beer unless you primed the keg with sugar. No need for the oil. I've never heard of anyone doing a just beergas setup with both styles of faucet but it's perfectly feasable. There really isn't any magic to the beergas other than it doesn't overcarb the beer at the higher dispensing pressure.

Back