Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Next question Ice Vs. Wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
AZOTH99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Next question Ice Vs. Wort chiller

O.k. nice thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/why-...20/index3.html

alot of good comments, suggestions, debates and teqniques.

So next question is.

For those of you that have used and and moved to a copper wort chiller. Do you think it was worth it and why?

I'm curious cause I've always used ice, so far I've not ever had a problem. My ice is from the same filtered water I use to boil with.

So with that in mind do you think the extra cost of building, buying etc.. the copper wort chiller was worth it?

I'm just not sold on purchasing something that does the same thing I've been doing for free.

You can still get a bug from your wort chiller if you don't sanitize it properly. you can even get a leak if not built properly to contaminate your brew etc... just seems that more can go wrong with adding to the mix than with Ice.

Especially if your procedures and cleanlyness are sound and you have a proper pitch of yeast.

And please if you have not done both meathods personally. Leave your opinion out of it. I'm seeking opinions from people who have and do both. If you haven't your opinion is not as relevant and obivously more one sided.

Thank you for your participation. and please if there is more questions ask away

Now let the debate begin.

Planning: Petes Wicked Clone, Weissenbock, some crazy mix combobulation.
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Currently Kegged: Fat Boy Amber Ale ; Chimay Blue Clone
Past brews:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Well, it seems like the most relevant issue is that a copper chiller allows you to do full volume boils and ice does not. If you're planning to do partial boils anyway, though, I don't see why anyone would feel extremely strongly about one over the other, aside from the obvious ups and downs of each method.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

For me, I have always loved the wort chiller. I have owned 2 of them so far. As Malfet said, the benefit to a wort chiller is the ability to cool down full boils. You can't do that when adding ice to a batch and expect the final volume to be the same. Also, if you compare the speed of cooling with ice to the speed of cooling with a wort chiller, a wort chiller will win hands down. My wort chiller can cool a 6 gallon batch to 100 degrees in about 3 minutes, and in another 6 minutes it's down to 70 degrees. I also don't need to stir the wort to get it fully mixed before taking a gravity reading, like you would with ice.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
surreal_trip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wort chiller a good idea:? Yes... Nuff said

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I never used ice IN my wort. The ice bath worked good for my extract kits with top up. The copper tubing immersion chiller works much better in 5 gallon full boil batches. I made two 20' coils and connect them with vinyl tubing. One goes in the wort and the other goes in a bucket of ice water. It works very nicely. Total was less than $50.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
DrBergeron
Recipes 

Wort chiller is worth it especially if you live in the north where the ground water is cool. down here in FL it takes my wort chiller about 10 minutes to get down to 100 and another 10-15 to get down to 80, but that's still better than the ice batch, which would take 40-50 mins at least with a full boil and 2 20 lb bags of ice.

Ice in the wort would be less of a risk if you sanitized your ice trays in between uses and used a distilled or RO water.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
wedward
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wort chiller definitely. I just got a Therminator and a pump and am wondering why I waited so long to get this. Life is much easier with these toys... And I never will buy ice again (except maybe dead in the middle of summer).

Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
Emmett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Using a chiller I had tons of off flavors. Quit using it a few years back and problem solved.

And yes I would put it in the wort for the last 15 min of the boil. Scrub the hell out of it after and soak in starsan.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
Naptown
Recipes 

I've read a lot of these threads and I'm definitely going to invest in one. Honestly, I was trying to avoid purchasing "more" equipment but I think this makes a lot of sense.

If you're gonna kiss her, you might as well..... nevermind.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
AZOTH99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by naptown View Post

if you're gonna kiss her, you might as well..... Nevermind.

lmao....................

Planning: Petes Wicked Clone, Weissenbock, some crazy mix combobulation.
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Currently Kegged: Fat Boy Amber Ale ; Chimay Blue Clone
Past brews:

Quick Reply