Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Next Batch Ideas with Octoberfest Ale Yeast Cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
nspringstead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Next Batch Ideas with Octoberfest Ale Yeast Cake

I currently have EdWort’s Octoberfest Ale in the primary at week 3. I used wyeast koslch yeast and was looking to make the next beer so I can put it on top of the yeast cake. I was looking to make a beer using honey that my parents get from their bee’s since they are now collecting a batch. Was looking at something like NB honey kolsch recipe.

That is a darker beer to lighter beer for the yeast cake which may lead to off tastes right? Better to wash yeast and make a starter, which is what I normally do. Just looking for other ideas.

I ferment in my basement without temp control, where it is currently about 66-67 F, and should linger there for the next month or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
mrfocus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspringstead View Post
That is a darker beer to lighter beer for the yeast cake which may lead to off tastes right? Better to wash yeast and make a starter, which is what I normally do. Just looking for other ideas.
I wouldn't think that a pint of "darker" beer in let's say 5 gallons of lighter beer is going to be noticeable. At all.

You're bigger problem is over-pitching.

For detailed information: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/

When I do this, I typically throw out about (read "at least") half of the yeast cake to avoid this problem.
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
nspringstead
Recipes 

ok so I'm thinking I'll wash the yeast and repitch into a honey wheat or American wheat bear for a quick Labor day/ SWMBO's bday beer for guest

Quick Reply