Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > new water hose woes. (heh that rhymes)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default new water hose woes. (heh that rhymes)

i've been brewing for a few years, i've done some dumb stuff, but not really for the last year or so, untill recently.

i brewed a ten gallon all grain batch of my "death by dunkel" beer, let it sit in the primary for about 2 and a half weeks, and then kegged it, and let it sit on 12psi for about a week and a half. all normal, i've made probably over 200 gallons of this exact recipe over time.

when i took the first pull from the keg, it had a really weird taste. like i couldn't even describe it. almost rubbery. this was the first beer i had made at our new house we just bought, and i thought maybe the water was just really bad, and decided for the next brew i should use bottled water, and also check out my water profile.

well i gave a growler of it to my friend, warning him of the weird taste, and the next day he came back with some tasting notes and he said, "well it wasn't too bad, it reminded me of when i was a kid, and i would drink water out of a brand new garden hose. it kind of tasted like that."

WHAM- it hit me, that's exactly what i did. i went to menards, bought a brand new garden hose, and hooked it up, and immediately turned the hose on, and poured my mash water.

good news is, it really isn't THAT bad, and it's actually mellowed out a ton over the last three weeks.
so yeah. lessoned learned. don't do that.

my bar build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Menards sells the white "drinking water safe" Rv hoses pretty cheap. No off flavors or nasty toxins.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yep, you need a potable water hose (a.k.a. white RV hose) to avoid those funky flavors.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply