Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > New to the Hobby, please help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 02:32 AM   #1
oi oi punk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to the Hobby, please help

Hi, my name is Russ, a couple of my friends brew beer, i love a good homebrew/microbrew, and i am wondering where to get started.i recently decided to get a mr. beer kit, which i understand must be a complete joke to the people on this forum, however, i make a decent buck, and i am willing to put some money into making my "perfect beer". i was really wondering where the best place i could read upon this subject is.

just to give a quick background, i am a union electrician, 22 years of age, i live in syracuse NY, and that is about it.

I love just about any amber beers that i run into (War of 1812, Sacketts harbor, Rogues American Amber Ale) and i appreciate a good IPA, and sometimes a porter, if i am in the right mood. basically anything but winter wheat, and anything brewed with a fruit (except middle ages raspberry)

I look forward to viewing your forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
sweet_corn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

www.howtobrew.com is a great on-line resource. I was going to get the mr beer kit but went to my home brew store instead. I am glad I did. I just got a basic kit, but a few months and 5 great batches later, I am very happy I bought the HBS beginner kit.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-25-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what you buy depends on what you are looking to do.

All grain brewing, or Extract brewing
Ale or Lagering?
Bottling or Kegging?
Cooking inside out outside?
How much beer do you want to make at once?
How much have you allocated to this hobby?

or all of the above?

Cheapest and easiest would be extract ale brewing on your home stove, and bottling.

Harder, more initial work, but cheaper in the long run would be all grain brewing.

Ale is generally easier to do because you do not need to provide refridgeration for your fermenters, and it takes a lot less time, although not as refined as lagering.

Kegging is generally less work, but more expensive up front over bottles. IF you want to transport your beer you'll need at least some capped bottles, flip top, or growlers.

got any questions you know where to ask!

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-25-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome young person!

Get together and brew some beer with your friends who have done it before. Nothing beats practical experience, ask lot's of questions, take lot's of notes, and then pick up the joy of homebrewing. Another terrific resource is Jim Palmer's on line version of "How to Brew"

Good luck, and to find out what you may like to brew, experiment with trying different styles of beer at the Blue Tusk.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oi oi punk
Hi, my name is Russ, a couple of my friends brew beer, i love a good homebrew/microbrew, and i am wondering where to get started.i recently decided to get a mr. beer kit, which i understand must be a complete joke to the people on this forum, however, i make a decent buck, and i am willing to put some money into making my "perfect beer". i was really wondering where the best place i could read upon this subject is.

just to give a quick background, i am a union electrician, 22 years of age, i live in syracuse NY, and that is about it.

I love just about any amber beers that i run into (War of 1812, Sacketts harbor, Rogues American Amber Ale) and i appreciate a good IPA, and sometimes a porter, if i am in the right mood. basically anything but winter wheat, and anything brewed with a fruit (except middle ages raspberry)

I look forward to viewing your forum.
'Cuse!!!! I used to live up in New Hartford. Went to Utica College of Syracuse University. Go to Amazon.com and buy The Complete Joy of Home Brewing 3rd Ed. by Charlie Papazian.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
oi oi punk
Recipes 

that is totally awesome you sent me a link to the blue tusk. one of my favorite bars in Syracuse. have any fo you guys tried middle ages? i am not sure how big of a brewery it is. it seems as though everytime i go into a new bar, thay have a different kind of middle ages i have never had before. black heart is my favorite. a good porter, with hints of chocolate, and coffee. so black, it stains the darkest of clothes. and i will definetely look into a beginner beer kit at a local home brewery store. i realize the mr beer is a waste of time, but hey, it is SOME experience, and even if i get crappy beer in the end, its still beer, right? thank you so much for being helpful, i have been on various kinds of forums and never received this much good help in this short of a time.

with my limited knowledge, one of my friends has a glass fermenter, with a thing on top. i apologize for being ignorant to the name, but he does not refrigerate, until he bottles. i do not have the resources at this time to apprehend a chilled fermenter, so it seems that all grain brewing may be my best bet?

Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 AM   #7
oi oi punk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneFloyd
'Cuse!!!! I used to live up in New Hartford. Went to Utica College of Syracuse University. Go to Amazon.com and buy The Complete Joy of Home Brewing 3rd Ed. by Charlie Papazian.

i worked in utica for a couple of years. they have a brewpub called backstreets brewery, which has yet to yield a single brew. i always beg them to. nice bar, just not much on the beer selection. at all.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #8
Axegod
Recipes 

You can go extract at first..good to learn all the bases (sanitation, hops, yeast, ect)...and get more advanced as you go. Many people stick with extracts and are able to produce great beers.
All the extract stuff (carboys, syphons, etc) will still be needed for intermediate
and or advanced steps.

Good Luck !

Cheers.

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 AM   #9
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personaly would go to Austin Homebrew supply and order everything online except the kettle get some one on the job yer on to open an empty keg with a torch for that oh and buy a turkey fryer for outside use unless you have it converted to natural gas. My first batch was Extract (DME) plus grains. then on my fourth attempt went all grain I made all my own equipment too now on to my 14 attempt I did triple decoction, what I'm trying to say is move as quickly as you want but build yer on equipment. I have had no help on any of it cause I'm a stranger down in Vatoville, it can be done. Cause I'm evil evil evil evil...

Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Levers101
Recipes 

Not to belittle Austin Homebrew because they are a great company and I had great customer service when I called them recently, but do a phonebook or google search for some local homebrew supply stores in your area. There almost has to be one or two or ten considering how populous NY is. I'm sure there is at least one that does mail order right out of Syracuse. I reccomend that you get all your equipment at a local place (especially since Austin Homebrew has gone away from free shipping). That way you don't have to pay any shipping and get to talk to someone who (hopefully) knows how to get you setup right. I got all my big equipment locally, and mail order my ingredients because the local homebrew supply store (LHBS) doesn't stock anything that I think is fresh.

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Quick Reply