Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > New Brewer has a question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedbrew
I'm a new brewer as well and what I'm always wondering is if you leave your brew in primary for 3-4 weeks, what's the purpose of transfering to a second fermenter if you have all of the tools to bottle easily from the first primary container?
Because of all the stuff ("trub") that settles out of the fermenter during those 3-4 weeks. It will be a big thick layer of dead yeast, hops particles, break material, and protiens. You don't want that stuff in your beer- that's why let it sit to clear and condition. If you bottle from that first container, you'll stir up all that stuff into the beer again when you add your priming solution.

So, you add the priming solution to a bottling bucket, and then rack your clear beer into the new container, holding the racking cane above the trub, so only the beer flows.

I even put my fermenter up on the island early in the day on bottling/kegging day, so when I move it if anything got stirred up, it has time to settle back down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply