New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyD96

Reaction score
Ok folks. I just finished brewing my second batch(a Scotch ale). I wanted to know if I left the beer in the second fermenter for longer than the recepie would/could it affect the taste?

I'm still a rookie. My first batch came out pretty well and now I'm hooked. Any and all imput is welcomed.

Nope, it won't hurt it...I think 4wks is the consensus around here though. Do a search on secondary fermentation and see what you come up with.

Presuming that you don't have a lot of air space at the top of the secondary, and that it is air tight and made of an impermeable materiel, you could leave it in there for a couple of months and it will only achieve greater clarity and improved taste. I've skipped secondaries altogether, held stuff in them for as little as a week, or left things in for a few weeks. There are rules of thumb but few hard and fast rules.

Latest posts

Back