Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > New to brew - frementing temp question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
wpreston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to brew - frementing temp question

First off let me say this will be my first brew . The kit I bought is a Midwest home brewing kit- Liberty cream ale with the dry Muntons active brewing yeast package. My question is I want to brew but the temp in my house is at 70* during the day will this be ok or should i wait till the temp gets lower. I see all over the temp ranges for ales from 62 - 74 and I need to figure out how I figure this out for myself. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I don't know about the Mutons yeast but with US-05 you can get so-so results with an ambient temp of 70. You should look into putting your fermenter in tub of watter. I add frozen 2L bottles of watter to cool mine down.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's also important that your beer remain at a constant temp during fermentation, and since the yeast generate heat it requires some sort of cooling process. Better to ferment at a slightly higher but consistent temp than starting low and swinging 6-8 degrees during fermentation.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2713

Relax. Don't worry. 70 sounds great for an ale yeast. You will love it.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For a first beer I wouldn't worry about it too much, you will make beer and you will like it.

One thing to take into consideration is that your beer in the fermenter will be at a higher temperature than ambient. Those yeast are going to be active and they are going to be warming that beer up. So pay more attention to the temperature of the beer in the fermenter than the ambient temperature. (Can use a stick on thermometer or a temp controller with the probe attached to the side of the carboy and insulated or in a thermowell)

I would recommend looking at a temperature controller and some way to cool your beer in the future. Either with a chest freezer or make yourself a Son Of Fermentation Chiller for cheap.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

FOR SURE get yourself some stick on thermometers (pet stores have them for aquariums) and monitor the temp IN the carboy, not the ambient temp in the room.

Now, what is a 'Son Of Fermentation Chiller'?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

not familiar with that yeast, but being dry, you may get some esters in there at 70. i don't know for this yeast, just a rule of thumb i use for dry (when i use them). I would say if you can get a tub large enough submerse at least 3/4 way up your fermentor, it would be best to try to keep at 65ish. remember the temp inside your fermentor will be higher than the ambient temp because of the metabolic processes taking place.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As has been said, an ambient temp of 70 will give a fermentation temp of 75-80. You can moderate temperature swings by putting the carboy or bucket in a tub with water. Additionally, if you want to drop the temp you can affix a t-shirt to the outside of the carboy, put both in water and point a fan towards it.

Having said that, it’s your first brew. You may want to just go as is and experience a few full flavors.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Just a wet T-shirt and a fan will help immensely.

This is my rubbermaid tub with two frozen 2L bottles. Its out in the 90+ heat in my brew shed and the watter is in the mid 60s. They only need to be at that temp for four days. I have a window mount air conditioner for it but I think I'll go on a Belgian binge soon.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 05-10-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #10
wpreston
Recipes 

Thanks for all the advise, I put my fermenter in a bucket with water and dropped in some frozen water bottles now and then to keep it around 67-68.

Quick Reply