New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > New activity in secondary (dry hopping)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default New activity in secondary (dry hopping)

I racked a Racer 5 clone into a carboy for dry hopping. The activity in the primary had stopped after 8 days when I racked. It's been in there for 5 days and the airlock is bubbling away. There are lots of very small bubbles at the top of a very clear batch.
I think my sanitation was good, though my aeration was not. Is there anything you can think of that would cause this? Do the hops have anything to do with it?

Thanks
KD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Your aeration wasn't good, or wasn't sanitary? Oh well. Sometimes racking to secondary can stir up some new activity, also a warmer room can stir up fermentation. Short of either of those, I might be a little worried.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Did you take a hydrometer reading and was it close to your expected FG before you racked? If it wasn't, you're yeast is probably just finishing their job. RDWHAHB

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Assuming fermentation was complete (hydrometer reading?) it is most likely just off-gassing CO2. The hops you added provide nucleation points which causes the CO2 to come out of solution. Nothing to worry about.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
Assuming fermentation was complete (hydrometer reading?) it is most likely just off-gassing CO2. The hops you added provide nucleation points which causes the CO2 to come out of solution. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for this Bradsul. My reading was 1.018 when I racked, down from 1.071 OG. Should end up 1.015 or so.

Thanks to other replies too.

Quick Reply