Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Need Water Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need Water Advice

I've been brewing for a while and using the water out of my kitchen faucet. The problem is that my kitchen faucet uses soft water. I'd like to use plain old tap water. I hear that soft water creates a chalky and bitter taste. I don't see it in my more robust brews, but notice it slightly in my lighter ones. The water report for Kalamazoo is below. Without getting too complicated, what advice can be offered? Anyone from Kalamazoo? How do you use your tap water in your mash? Do you treat it first, etc.

I'm going to try my next batch with water straight from the garden hose and just throw in a Campden tablet. I was even thinking about adding an easily connectable carbon filter to the garden hose. Looking for further advice.

http://www.kalamazoocity.org/docs/2011WQR.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You're gonna have to ask for a more comprehensive report. That one says almost nothing about the most important minerals that are relevant to brewing

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Buy an RV hose. Garden hoses aren't really for drinking water.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4378 Times on 3185 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post
I've been brewing for a while and using the water out of my kitchen faucet. The problem is that my kitchen faucet uses soft water. I'd like to use plain old tap water. I hear that soft water creates a chalky and bitter taste. I don't see it in my more robust brews, but notice it slightly in my lighter ones. The water report for Kalamazoo is below. Without getting too complicated, what advice can be offered? Anyone from Kalamazoo? How do you use your tap water in your mash? Do you treat it first, etc.

I'm going to try my next batch with water straight from the garden hose and just throw in a Campden tablet. I was even thinking about adding an easily connectable carbon filter to the garden hose. Looking for further advice.

"Soft" water may be perfect, as long as it isn't water out of a water softener which I suspect might be the case.

Tap water may be just fine to use, depending on the composition. Alkalinity, calcium, chloride, sulfate, and sodium are important to know. If you can find that info from your water department, that would help.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3901 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 13190

If you're referring to a whole house water softener, doesn't it have a bypass switch? Just engage the bypass, bleed the water out of your pipes and then use the "regular" tap water.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
whrswoldo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post

I use a hose rigged up to a whole-house water filter (to remove chlorine, etc.), and then I add water salts. So far I have been very pleased with the results, haven't noticed any chalky or bitter tastes. It's also significantly easier and faster to fill the kettle/HLT.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whrswoldo View Post
I use a hose rigged up to a whole-house water filter (to remove chlorine, etc.), and then I add water salts. So far I have been very pleased with the results, haven't noticed any chalky or bitter tastes. It's also significantly easier and faster to fill the kettle/HLT.
Looks like I'll be building an RV hose/whole house filter setup this weekend. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So I built the water filter tonight and it came together famously. I bought a 2 micron filter, the lowest Lowes had, and gave it a try. The water sucked! I'm going to have to order a .5 micron filter online and give it a shot. Seems no one in town carries anything less than a 2 micron. I line up 3 glasses of water for a taste test. 2 micron filtered water, tap water from the kitchen sink (from water softener), and fridge water. The fridge water was the best, which I think is softened water ran through the filter in the fridge. The water from the 2 micron filter tasted very chalky.

Update: I went back to Lowes and found a .5 Micron filter. The water tastes fantastic now. I think the 2 micron that I had used didn't reduce the chlorine. Problem solved. Brewing tomorrow to find out how it works.

Quick Reply