The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Need More Hops-Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Need More Hops-Dry Hopping

After I found that the astronomical hoppiness of my local micro's IPA was achieved via hop-back, and it was said that you cannot achieve this level without doing it, I have searched and wondered, that if you only gain aroma and not really add to bitterness, then using leaf hops seems to be the best approach as they are fresher-not being pulverized and formed.

My guess is the leaf-in-hop-bag approach directly into the brew, after racking to a corny, may be best for me. Leaving it in till the keg is done seems the best practice.

Does anyone actually try to steam sterilize the hop/hop bag addition before adding to the keg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
thebikingengineer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just spray the bag down with a no-rinse sanitizer of your choice and toss everything in. There's enough alcohol in the beer that any airborne bacteria aren't going to take hold, and hops don't provide a livable environment for spoilage organisms, you should be fine.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I sanitize the bag and add the hops. After a week, I'll remove the bag & check the brew. If it needs more, I'll clean the bag and add more, generally a different hop. I rarely use pellets for dryhopping.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I've found that pelletized hops actually keep better than many fresh varieties. While they are processed, that processing actually helps preserve the oils. I've had great success dry hopping with pellets, and I avoid some of the hassle of whole hops. I brewed with whole hops for several years, but switched to pellets several years ago.

TL

Old 10-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Happy Belated, Tex Law.
Mine was grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've always dry-hopped with pellets with great success also. Same reasoning that TexLaw said; lesser risk of spoilage, overall freshness, greater variety, and (of course) higher concentration of the goodies.

Never used a bag with em though, always just tossed the pellets straight in, then stuck an airlock back on if the secondary was a 5gal in case some blow-off happens.

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Quick Reply