Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Need help with a stuck fermentation with Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need help with a stuck fermentation with Mead

I made a new batch of Mead last evening. This is in a simple gallon jug. I added one campden tablet and forgot I was supposed to wait at least 24 hours for the Must to allow yeast. I pitched in my Yeast K-v1116 in immediately afterwards and of course...its just sitting there. Im sure I killed the yeastie beasties right off. Can this batch be saved? What can I do do restart it safely ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This will likely take a day or 2 to start up anyway....let's give it more than 8 hours before you declare your yeast dead.
If nothing is happening on Sunday.....Re-pitch and re-aerate...but relax until then.
If i understand properly...you're making a show mead...or just honey and water? IMO, Campdon is a waste of time, as these types of mead really do not need it.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Thanks Big!

yeah, I was going to sit back and see what happens by tommorow. Ive also read today that using campden in this instance is indeed a waste of time so no more of that! Thanks for replying! Ill repost tomorow with results....

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Well I didnt even have to wait until tomorow! Im happy to say it is now beginning to bubble! I think I dodged a bullet and wont be using any more campden unless im making a Melomel....I made an assumption that the campden had either killed the yeast or may even still give me a slower fermentation than Id get had I not added it.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
tenchu_11
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Is my mead dead? My first batch ever is clover honey 15lb to 5gallons of water I used Liquid Yeast the slap kind but it didn't rise mutch so i put the liquid yeast with some warm water and the suggested amount of yeast energizer and nutrient. It didn't proof But in my infinite wisdom i decided it might not of worked because let the yeast sitt in a bowl with the nutrient and enegizer. But i hoped for the best and pitched it, its been 4 days with no air lock action but it defenetly has a slight alcoholic smell to it. I taped the the edges of the plastic lid to eliminate air leaks, has anyone ever had fermentation without bubbles or is 4 days not enough time to see air lock action.

Quick Reply