Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Natural Temp Drop When Fermentation Slows Down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Natural Temp Drop When Fermentation Slows Down

My fermentation/aging room is around 58f these days. IMHO, perfect for fermentation, because the natural heat generated by the fermentation process brings the wort temp up to 62-63f.

Case in point was my cherry stout. I pitched at about 60f, and several hours later, fermentation was vigorous...the temps had risen several degrees. This was the Wyeast London ESB strain, which finishes VERY quickly...so, even though I pitched on Sunday afternoon, it's already slowing down today (Tuesday). At the same time, since the airlock activity has slowed down, the bucket temp has also dropped, back to about 58f. I have a heating pad and blanket ready...I'm just wondering if I should raise the temps back up to the low 60's until fermentation is done. My worry is that, without the heat from the vigorous part of fermentation, the temps will drop too much and cut fermentation short. Is this possible? How low do you have to go for that to happen? The listed range is 64-72f. If it sits around 58-59, is it going to stop things prematurely?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I usually try to shoot for the low end of the listed temp range: I think what would be ideal would be an ambient temp at or a degree below the lower end of the range.

I'd be worried about poor attenuation at the temps you listed, although I don't know from personal experience or anything.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not the most experienced brewer here, but I'd say, yes, use the blanket, and keep it out of the fifties. What you're describing is exactly what happened to my oatmeal stout I just bottled last week. It got really cold in my apartment, and at one point my primary got down to about 59º. Fermentation pretty much stopped. I did get it up to around 64º again and SG dropped a few more points, but it's possible it stunted the completion. Of course, the beer still tastes great, so no disaster, but I think it's best to try to keep in it the sweet spot as much as possible. I was using White Labs London Ale btw.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 12-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

No matter how vigorous a ferment runs, when it starts to run down it's a good idea to keep it in the ideal range. Those last few points are the hardest sugars to ferment & the yeast need all the help they can get. Many times, I end up raising the temperature to the high end of the range to let the yeast finish the batch.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the input. Just went home during my lunchbreak and put the heating pad on it. Hopefully that will bring it up from 58f in time for the yeast to finish.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply