Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Name That Infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Default Name That Infection

Unfortunately, I've joined the ranks with my first "My Infection" thread. First off, I need some help identifying what it is.

Background:
I brewed a sMAsH with Maris Otter and Amarillo. I then split it into two batches. I used Wyeast 1056 with one and Scottish Ale yest on the other. I made a starter for both so fermentation would start faster. Both have been in the primary for 4 weeks. I was planning on bottling this week and noticed the infection a few days ago. The infection is with the Scottish Ale Yeast.

Recommendations? I probably won't dump, unless its ebola. I just wanted to know the nature of the infection so I could figure out a corse of action.
I'm figuring if it is mold, I'll rack it out of the moldy top and bottle. If it is a bacteria infection, I could either bottle and let age, or rack off of the yeast cake and age.

Here is the half with Wyeast 1056 for comparison:

Last edited by Edcculus; 08-26-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
twobrosbrewin
Recipes 

I would be interested in finding out what that is as well. I have the beginings of what looks to be very similar in a bock that had problems starting fermentation. It actually started right after I took a hydro reading, think I might have introduced something when I broke the airlock seal.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

All that looks like to me is post krauzen fizzy yeast colonies, though it is hard to tell...in other words, normal beer.....Don't Dump

Or Co2 trapped in some remaining krauzen and making slimy looking bubbles.....

And Twobros...it's doubtful that you have an infection either....there is a co2 cushion protecting your beer even if you get a blowoff....if you sanitized the theif or turkey baster than more than likely everything is fine...

People (including me) have stuck their unsanitized arm into their buckets to fish something that has fallen into it, and had our beer turned out fine...

Your beer is much stronger than you two give it credit....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 08-27-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
twobrosbrewin
Recipes 

That's refreshing, we do sanitize everything. I guess my concern is that fermentation has not started and its been in the fermenter for 9 days. We have more yeast coming tomorrow and I'm going to make a starter. Guess the nerves are getting to me because its been so long with no activity. Hopefully whatever is forming on the surface in either CO2 or yeast and not something else.
Side question... would lager yeast still form colonies on the surface in primary fermentation?? I was under the impression that I wouldn't seen that from a lager yeast strain.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobrosbrewin View Post
That's refreshing, we do sanitize everything. I guess my concern is that fermentation has not started and its been in the fermenter for 9 days. We have more yeast coming tomorrow and I'm going to make a starter. Guess the nerves are getting to me because its been so long with no activity. Hopefully whatever is forming on the surface in either CO2 or yeast and not something else.
Side question... would lager yeast still form colonies on the surface in primary fermentation?? I was under the impression that I wouldn't seen that from a lager yeast strain.
Have you taken a hydro reading in the last 9 days??? That is the only way to tell whether or not fermentation has occured....There really is no other way, no other method to say whether or not it has occured...airlock activity is NOT a way to tell...

Read this, I kinda explain...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/...before_action/

I can't answer about lager yeasts, since I have pretty much hated every lager I tasted, so I never have seen lager fermentation...but I do know that whether or not the yeast is top forming...CO2 still rises, and therefore will lift stuff up to the surface with it....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 08-27-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #6
kjones
Recipes 

Edcculus, hey you are right near me. I live in seneca

Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
twobrosbrewin
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Revvy;819824]Have you taken a hydro reading in the last 9 days??? That is the only way to tell whether or not fermentation has occured....There really is no other way, no other method to say whether or not it has occured...airlock activity is NOT a way to tell...

QUOTE]

Yeah we took a hydro reading at day 7, no change. OG was 1.056 and the one at day 7 was 1.062. Some temp differences I think are responsible for the higher reading on day 7 and it probably was not mixed enough on the first reading(partial boil).
I was worried that I could have introduced something when I took the second hydro reading. I am still keeping the faith alive I just wish I still didn't have several days to go before I can get a yeast starter in there. Also we tasted it and it tasted great(as far as worts go) so I'm really hoping that nothing goes wrong before I get that starter in there.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
All that looks like to me is post krauzen fizzy yeast colonies, though it is hard to tell...in other words, normal beer.....Don't Dump

Or Co2 trapped in some remaining krauzen and making slimy looking bubbles.....

And Twobros...it's doubtful that you have an infection either....there is a co2 cushion protecting your beer even if you get a blowoff....if you sanitized the theif or turkey baster than more than likely everything is fine...

People (including me) have stuck their unsanitized arm into their buckets to fish something that has fallen into it, and had our beer turned out fine...

Your beer is much stronger than you two give it credit....
Hmm, i've never thought of that. I was leaning toward mold since its fuzzy. I wasn't planning on dumping unless it tasted funky, which could be a good thing depending on the funk-ifying agent. I mainly wanted to know what I was dealing with.

To be honest, I was almost hoping for a brett/lacto infection. I've been wanting to do a sour beer for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
Edcculus, hey you are right near me. I live in seneca
Cool! I've been running into a lot of people from the area on here recently.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Looks almost identical to the mold infection I had recently.

I don't have a good picture (just fuzzy cell phone video) but I bottled anyway. Wasn't able to rack cleanly from beneath (some got mixed in). My bottles have a tiny bit of a skin, but flavour is totally unaffected. It's good.

If the skin develops into full mold, I might pour it through a tea strainer. It's a wit so that degassing shouldn't be so bad.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1