Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > My mash method, is it good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudybrew View Post
ok... so now i am trying to understand how to calculate my batch sparge and am finding it a bit confusing, specially because most of the articles and texts are not in metrics... so lets see if I got it right...
lets say i am doing a 20 L batch... my boil size has to be 24L, acording to my equipment...
so I mash with a 3 liters per kilo thickness... so say a 4kg grain recipe... considering 1 liter absorbtion per kilo of grain...
So 4 kg of grains...
12 liters to mash...
consider 1,5 liters of dead space...
that would give me a 6,5 litres to the boil kettle... so before I vorlauf that first running I would add 5,5 liters of sparge... the after vorlauf i'd run off 12 liters...
then for my batch sparge I would add 12 liters, mix it all, vorlauf and run off to the boil kettle...
a bit confusing but can anyone correct me if i am wrong... please...
cheers

The easiest way is to measure your first runnings. Subtract that amount you need to have at boil, and you have your sparge water. Since the grain won't absorb any more water, the amount of water you use for sparging is going to come out as your lite wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
dudybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so say I ran off 6,5 litres... to complete my boil size of 24L I'd be missing 17,5 liters... so I could divide that by 2, which gives me 2 batch sparges of 8,75 liters?
right?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudybrew View Post
so say I ran off 6,5 litres... to complete my boil size of 24L I'd be missing 17,5 liters... so I could divide that by 2, which gives me 2 batch sparges of 8,75 liters?
right?
Yup that is right. My mash paddle I marked by putting in measured amounts of water and then filing a line on it. So after the first running I would stick the mash paddle in the boil pot and know how much I had to add to get my boil volume.

Sounds hard but it is really easy

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
dudybrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yep... I am gonna do something just like that for my mash and boil tun that are the same size... I did it for my fermentation buckets and is really usefull...

Quick Reply