Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > My first time using a yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
lx302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first time using a yeast cake

Well,
I bottled my English Mild this morning, leaving a small amount of beer covering the yeast cake in the primary. While I was bottling, a new batch of Mild was boiling on the stove. (extract with steeping grains) I went outside to get some ice and snow and throw it into my laundry sink, and cooled down the wort and pitched into the primary. I did remove the ring of Krausen at the top of the primary with some paper towels.
I await fermentation to take place and will try this again on my Wicked Ale in 2 weeks.
Just thought I'd let you know how easy it was if anyone was thinking of doing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just reused my first cake, 3068 weizen yeast that had been under apple juce for 2mos. It moved slower than I thought it would at first* but gained speed and has been blooping 2x/second for the last few days.

I didn't remove any Krausen (yes, apfelwein can leave Krausen with beer yeasts), just sanitized the opening and racked fresh juice into it.

FraterMus
* probably because of the extended primary.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Andreas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx302 View Post
Just thought I'd let you know how easy it was if anyone was thinking of doing it.
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are you saying that you simply added the chilled wort to the previously used primary, in order to use the existing yeast culture?
I'll be brewing lagers all winter, and am on my 2nd one (a rye lager). It's in the primary now, and I plan to rack it to secondary in about 2 or 3 days. I can't imagine re-using the primary without sanitizing due to the crud at the top. I'm wondering if I could pour out the yeast cake into a 1 gallon carboy, then pitch it into a fresh primary full of chilled lager wort.
Thanks for your patience,
Andy

Old 01-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are you saying that you simply added the chilled wort to the previously used primary, in order to use the existing yeast culture?
I'll be brewing lagers all winter, and am on my 2nd one (a rye lager). It's in the primary now, and I plan to rack it to secondary in about 2 or 3 days. I can't imagine re-using the primary without sanitizing due to the crud at the top. I'm wondering if I could pour out the yeast cake into a 1 gallon carboy, then pitch it into a fresh primary full of chilled lager wort.
Thanks for your patience,
Andy
absolutely.
welcome aboard btw, 1st post.

if your original sanitation practices were good, do not worry about the krausen ring at the top.
i have yet to do this, but only because i rarely bottle when i brew. not to mention, my last 5-6 brews were all nottingham, which i get for well under a 2 bucks a pack, no real $$ savings.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
barefootbrewer
Recipes 

I've got a related question. When you reuse a yeast cake, is it necessary to aerate the wort? If so, do you just aerate in the primary after you've added the wort?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbrewer View Post
I've got a related question. When you reuse a yeast cake, is it necessary to aerate the wort? If so, do you just aerate in the primary after you've added the wort?
You still need to aerate the wort. If you pour from your kettle into the bucket, the splashing should be sufficient. If you use a carboy, give it a brisk stir in the kettle before transferring it to the carboy.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 01-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbrewer View Post
absolutely. one thing has nothing to do with the other.

a collander, the mesh stainless style works very well for aeration btw. you will have foam over the top of the bucket! if you use a carboy, well then, you will figger it out i dont use em.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
barefootbrewer
Recipes 

I use carboys and an aeration stone. My question was wondering if it needed air at all since the yeast had already switched to the anaerobic phase during the first go-around. I appreciate the quick answers.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
lx302
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update: I used a primary plastic bucket and shook up the water in the spring water bottles before adding to the bucket and yeast and stirred the wort real good once everything was in the primary. I had activity on the air lock within 3 hours. I consider my sanitiation to be very good.
I read you didn't need to remove the krausen, but I did as a precaution.
I've read about this technique on this forum and it all made perfect sense.
I even asked the guys at the LHBS and they say they use the same technique, it's just one of the things they usually don't tell their customers. (They want to sell yeast and make money.) So if your brewing the same or similar type of beer in the time frame your first batch is done and using the same yeast, why not?
Yes I only really saved $7 from not buying another packet of liquid yeast, but it saved some time not having to wait 3 plus hours for the yeast to inoculate, plus fermentation should be better, due to a higher initial yeast count.

I wouldn't think you needed an airstone if you were doing this with a carboy, but it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by lx302; 01-18-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
... I can't imagine re-using the primary without sanitizing due to the crud at the top. I'm wondering if I could pour out the yeast cake into a 1 gallon carboy, then pitch it into a fresh primary full of chilled lager wort.
Remember that gross-looking does not equal contaminated. The crud at the top is not a bacteria farm; it is yeast and proteins and resins, etc.

Assuming the first batch was well sanitized one might be more likely to introduce contamination by moving the yeast cake around from container to container than by reusing the original.

Now, one might argue that there is a benefit to getting the yeast away the krausen and trub but it's not an argument based on sanitation.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Quick Reply