Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > My first home brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
nywanna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first home brew

Well, I started my first home brew. I gotta say, the people at my local home brewing store were less than easy to get along with - I was hoping for a little direction and advice from them, but all I got were blank stares and an attitude of "you want to do what?". Regardless, I really don't care - I've been determined to do this for a while.

I am 90% sure this batch is going to be quite aweful. Not only were sanitation precautions not followed by man of the people that were helping me, we also forgot to put the lid on while cooling the wort, and the primary grains ended up resting on the bottom of our boiling pot.

I am happy to see that the beer is fermenting quite nicely right now and am preparing for the bottling stage early next week. A friend of mine lent me to glass carboy's so that I could do a secondary fermentation, but at this point I am almost more determined to go straight to bottling, let the batch finish in the bottles and start a second batch (this time paying attention to sanitation and the other details that I missed).

Thought I would share with every one - oh, and yes, I'm new here.

BrewingKB - A Home Brewing Resource

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Congrats on your first brew.

So, how long are you going to let it sit in the primary? Since you don't plan on using a secondary, I would recommend leaving it sit in the primary for longer than a week. Otherwise, you may run the risk of bottle bombs.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Actually, if that was your biggest "sanitation" issue I'm pretty sure you'll be OK. I've done much worse and still made pretty good beer. I once melted a plastic bag on the inside bottom of my brewpot (don't ask) and spent the boil trying to collect the little bits as they rolled by in the boil. That one actually turned out great!

I would seriously recommend using the secondary option since you've got the fermenters - the extra time will let your fermentation finish up without getting off flavors from your trub and you'll end up with a clearer batch.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Congrats on your first!

If you have access to a secondary - use it. If nothing else, it's good practice.

As far as not covering the wort while cooling - not a big deal. That's really just to keep you from getting cooling water and other stuff in there.

Sanitation - just do better next time. Not much you can do at this point, but you'll probably be ok

Old 09-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kinda sucks that the LHBS folks weren't more helpful. I hate it when I'm getting into a hobby or something, and I'm shunned because I'm not already an expert. If only these retailers would think about the long-term, and realize that if they're helpful, you may turnout to be a money-spending customer for years to come.

In the future, you might just do it with an online outfit.

Anyway, don't assume your batch is ruined. If there's anything I know, it's that sloppy batches can come out great, and extremely disciplined batches can come out horribly. Nothing is a foregone conclusion, so I'd recommend doing a secondary aging for a week or two.

Unless, on the other hand, you're just trying to clear it out for the next batch, which is fine. However, you said you have 2 carboys, so, why not do this: rack to secondary once primary fermentation is done, then use the first carboy for your next batch. By the time it's ready for secondary, your first batch can be bottled.

Lastly, you said "many of the people who were helping me". Just how many people had their fingers, figuratively, in your beer? I find that any more than two people is a waste, and just provides more possibilities for accidents and sanitation issues. I brew most of my batches by myself or with a friend. That's all you need.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Congrats on your first brew and welcome. As a new brewer myself, I can tell you the folks around here are extremely helpful in every phase of the hobby. As for your lhbs, it's too bad they weren't more helpful, but there are lots of online suppliers you can go to instead.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywanna

I am 90% sure this batch is going to be quite aweful. Not only were sanitation precautions not followed by man of the people that were helping me, we also forgot to put the lid on while cooling the wort, and the primary grains ended up resting on the bottom of our boiling pot.

Thought I would share with every one - oh, and yes, I'm new here.
What happened with the grains? Maybe run your process by the board here and we can give you some guidance. You don't want to boil grain.

Gary

Old 09-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
vcr5150
Recipes 

welcome & congrats on your first batch. while you should always be careful, beer is pretty resiliant & a batch doesn't easily turn out bad - don't give up hope.

customer service seems to be an issue with many LHBS. Lucky for us, the internet gives us access to many great homebrew supply stores with a few clicks of the mouse. Give 'em another chance, maybe it was just a bad day.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
runhard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Contrats on cutting your teeth on your first go at it. Once you get a rhythm down with cleaning, santizing, etc. your brew days will go off smoothly. I echo everyone else above in that you will probably be just fine and a secondary isn't all bad this time even if for practice. Remember that some of the most incredible and interesting beers in Belgium are fermented with what is just floating around in their brewery; they haven't cleaned in hundreds of years and that is on purpose. As far as the CUSTOMER NO-SERVICE, your LHBS has no excuse. Don't patronage their store. I live in Austin and have visited at length with several of the guys throughout my learning and maturation process as a homebrewer and these guys are awesome. I'll give them a plug and let you know that they have only been gracious to help answer all of my questions or point me to a resource that did have the answer. Of course they have to make a living but most of their prices are very competitive and the shipping is very reasonable. Remember there are some people here who have been at this as long as 20 years and as few as a couple of days and we still all learn something from one another. Welcome aboard.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #10
runhard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oops, www.austinhomebrew.com.

Quick Reply