Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > My first decoction mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
AdIn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
So I racked my Dopplebock today. It is taking its sweet ass time ofr sure. it is still actively fermenting at 50 degrees after 3.5 weeks. Gravity is down to 1.023. I expect it will drop a little more, but certainly I will not get down in the 1.010-1.014 range I am used to. For you decoction experts, is a higher final gravity normal due to boiling the grains or was it something particular to my method? Thoughts?
I don't think there is any correlation between decoction and higher or lower final gravity. It's your grain bill, mashing schedule and yeast which get reflected in FG. I think doppelbock should end up around 1.018-1.021 FG so you are close.

Non-alcoholic beer is a first step to a rubber woman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #22
jeffg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input AdIn. I assumed boiling grains would add more unfermentables which would increase the gravity but maybe that was a bad assumption on my part. Really looking forward to this beer. I will be dropping it down from 50 to 39 over the next week and lagering it until right before Easter .

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply