Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is my fermentation complete?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 03:04 AM   #1
nick1023
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my fermentation complete?

Hey guys, I just started my second AG batch yesterday(5th overall) and Ive already completed primary fermentation, I THINK. I bought nottingham dry ale yeast because it was cheap (2 packs in case one was bunk). After a little debate with myself I decided that if I had 2 packs I might as well use them, if nothing else I figured this would shorten lag time. the OG was 1.050, after checking the brew a few hours later a krausen head was already starting to form. when I got home from work today the yeast had settled to the bottom and airlock activity was next to none. I figured that I would go ahead and rack it to the carboy and get it off the settlement when I checked the gravity it was at 1.015. it has now sat in the secondary for a few hours crystal clear without a peep from the airlock. the beer is a basic ale medium hopped with a pound of raspberries steeped after the boil and thrown in the fermentor. Does this sound weird to anybody? can I go ahead and bottle or should I wait a while?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 03:07 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, that dry yeast really takes off, don't it?

I'd give it a few days, and check your gravity again. Also, read up on that yeast. If you find that it's highly flocculent, you might have to swirl your fermenter a bit to rouse your yeast so it'll finish out.

I bet it's OK in a few days, though.

Edit: Of course, all the above is not knowing anyhting about your recipe, OG, mash schedule, etc. Any idea what it's supposed to finish at?

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 10-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #3
nick1023
Recipes 

I basically winged the recipe using promash. 6lbs maris otter, 3lbs british medium crystal, 1lb belg carapils, 1/2 lb brown sugar and 1lb of raspberries. 28 total IBUs with fuggles and hallertauer hops. single step infusion mash 154F from a rectangular cooler copper manifold setup. about 60% efficiency at 1.050, pretty lousy but better than last time (used 5.2 stabilizer both times). I was basically trying to rouse the yeast by racking it. do you think racking the wort is enough to rouse the yeast or is a swirl needed? More than anything I am plesantly suprised with this short fermentation I just hope the beer tastes good.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

3lbs of crystal sounds like quite a bit to me, so it might finish kinda high. Still, I'd give it a gentle swirl here and there, and check again in a few days. If you go three days with the same gravity, it's ready to bottle or keg.

Gone unsung for far too long

Quick Reply