HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > My airlock is whistling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
smorris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My airlock is whistling

Continous stream of CO2, not even bubbles it is coming so fast. Going to have to ditch the airlock and go to a blowoff. I never heard the airlock make a sound before besides the gurgle of bubbles. I guess I better get to it before it repaints the room for me. SWMBO would not be happy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Dark_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorris
Continous stream of CO2, not even bubbles it is coming so fast. Going to have to ditch the airlock and go to a blowoff. I never heard the airlock make a sound before besides the gurgle of bubbles. I guess I better get to it before it repaints the room for me. SWMBO would not be happy.
Does the beer your making have a high gravity? What are you making? Just wondering cause I had the same thing happen to me. The last one I made had a OG of 1085, I did use a starter though. I could never get it to finish lower than 1030 it was to sweet. I ended up ditching the whole batch, after I tried to salvage it. I dont remember what kind of yeast I used.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My experiment in the recipe forum

I have a feeling it may get a little warm so I put a wet towel around it, the house temp is running about 78 today.

Last edited by smorris; 06-05-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cooling the ferment will probably slow it down a bit, and might improve the results, depending on what style of beer you're brewing, and what sort of yeast. From what I have read, many yeasts develop estery or banana flavors at the higher end of their optimum temprature range. Buy some of those color coded temp strips for your fermenters, they are the easiest way to monitor the temp of your progressing brew. Oh, and the wet towl thing works well, and if you want even more cooling, face a fan toward it to increase evaporation.

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 06-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

You can enhance the cooling effect of the towel by directing a fan on it and forcing water evaporation from the towel. If you find that the towel dries out too fast, you can set the carboy in a shallow pan and put an inch or two of water in it and hang the towel so it can wick up the water as it dries out.

Prosit,

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always put the primary in front of the cold air return for the central A/C which tends to produce a nice breeze and keeps the coolest air in the house flowing over it. I has slowed down somewhat but is still banging away, should be ready for secondary by Thursday I suspect.

Quick Reply