Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > is my aeration method good enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
jefferym09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is my aeration method good enough?

i use a wort chiller to cool the wort, when doing this i dunk it up and down in the wort for 10 minutes or so because it gets the heat down quicker (i dunno the science of it, i just know it works). can this be a sufficient way to aerate as well? i mean i create lots of air bubbles doing this and i wondering if further aeration is needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

never can have too much aeration....

unless you're using pure oxygen.

Why Not?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
jefferym09
Recipes 

well i suppose that was my other unspoken question. is it possible to over-aerate if you're using manual methods? or is pure O2 required for that to happen?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

You should not aerate until the wort is below about 85F. Aerating it while it's hot can cause problems from what I've read but I hope I'm wrong because your method makes sense.

I always just cool down with wort chiller, then transfer 1/2 the wort to fermenter, put a solid bung in the fermenter and shake the crap out of it to aerate, then add the rest of the wort a sanitized gallon jug, shaking before adding to the fermenter as well. When I'm done my wort has a bunch of aeration foam on the surface so I know it's well aerated.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
jefferym09
Recipes 

after i do the whole dunking the wort chiller and get it down to 70, i shake the crap out of the fermenter after the wort is in. I have lots of aeration foam when im done so i think what I do is sufficient enough.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
RatchetBrews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your method should be fine as long it's at pitching temps. If you want to be really sure, get a small oxygen bottle from a hardware store, a diffusion stone, a lenght of hose and a small regulator. Put the store in the bottom of your fermenter and crank it up for 30 seconds to a minute.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

have you had problems with stuck fermentations or under-attenuation or anything that would indicate that you're not aerating enough?

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
jefferym09
Recipes 

Sometimes, I brewed at wheat ale last year that was at 1.040 for OG and it stopped at 1.020 and didn't move. I attributed this to unhealthy yeast though Since it was wyeast and it was at 3 months past the manufacturing date

Quick Reply