Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Multi stage dry hop: is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #31
Gavagai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I guess it would depend on how flocculant the yeast I'm using is. The general idea would be to maximize whatever benefit the yeast/hop combination provides with the first dry hop (hence to make sure that most of the yeast is still active and in suspension), and rely on a massive second dry hop to make up for whatever I lose. Here's a quote from tnlandsailor based on one of Matt's talks that he attended (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-...l#post668593):

Quote:
Once the beer starts fermenting in the primary, let it reach high krausen and then start to crash (about 1 day or so after high krausen). Fermentation is still going on, but at a lower activity level. Add your dry hops to the primary at this point and let the beer continue to ferment with the dry hops for 3 days total. After 3 days, fermentation should be complete and the beer should be racked to a secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply