New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Multi stage dry hop: is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Hop oils come in a range of chemical weights. The heavier ones, we call flavor; lighter ones, aroma. The longer the hops are in the beer, the wider range of oils that are extracted. A two-stage dry hopping would get mostly the lightest oils, whereas a longer period would also extract the heavier oils.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Hop oils come in a range of chemical weights. The heavier ones, we call flavor; lighter ones, aroma. The longer the hops are in the beer, the wider range of oils that are extracted. A two-stage dry hopping would get mostly the lightest oils, whereas a longer period would also extract the heavier oils.
Eureka! This is exactly what I was looking for. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the plain English explanation, David.

Now I gotta try to dance the Firestone 2-step!

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
dickproenneke
Recipes 

So I am gearing up to try this 2 stage DH thing, but I'm a little conflicted about something... What's the best way to go about steeping the 1st DH addition in a bucket? Can't i just tie the hop sack to a length of fishing line so that I can easily pull it out when the time comes? How would you guys do it?

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
So your saying dry hopping longer would get more flavor? I have been doing multistage dry hopping on the last few IPAs and I am very happy with the results. I have been going hop crazy lately though and if I could find a way would probably incorporate them into my bowl of breakfast cereal.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Oxygenation would be more of an issue if using a bucket. If you want to multi-stage dryhop in the primary with ease, I would go with a carboy. A carboy (primary not secondary) that is 1/2 to 3/4 filled with beer will have a denser C02 blanket than a full one. Unless you're swirling the carboy around in open air or taking your sweet time to add the dryhops, you should still have a dense C02 blanket whenever you briefly remove the airlock and add the dryhops.

Pellets would work better for this application since they are easier to work with and release their oils faster. Add pellet hops to a large, weighted drawstring mesh bag. Secure the string around the carboy neck. Wait 3 days. With every addition, discard the old, and add the new until 6, 9, or 12 days is reached. Contamination shouldn't be an issue. Hops are sanitary to begin with. And the mesh bag will remain in the carboy until you rack. If kegging, you can add your last bagged dryhop addition in the keg.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
Harvestsmiles
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

I read this yesterday that gives the clone for Pliny the Elder.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads

It's the 5th PDF down "Double IPA" and gives Vinne's reasoning behind the multi-dry-hopping process. Sounds like leaving the hops in can have several negative affects, including REDUCING the overall hop flavor/aroma which is the whole point of dry-hopping in the first place.

[COLOR="Navy"]Happy Brewing :)

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Oxygenation would be more of an issue if using a bucket. If you want to multi-stage dryhop in the primary with ease, I would go with a carboy. A carboy (primary not secondary) that is 1/2 to 3/4 filled with beer will have a denser C02 blanket than a full one. Unless you're swirling the carboy around in open air or taking your sweet time to add the dryhops, you should still have a dense C02 blanket whenever you briefly remove the airlock and add the dryhops.
So the standard 6.5 gallon carboy wouldn't be big enough for a 5 gal batch, huh?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestsmiles View Post
I read this yesterday that gives the clone for Pliny the Elder.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads

It's the 5th PDF down "Double IPA" and gives Vinne's reasoning behind the multi-dry-hopping process. Sounds like leaving the hops in can have several negative affects, including REDUCING the overall hop flavor/aroma which is the whole point of dry-hopping in the first place.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickproenneke View Post
So the standard 6.5 gallon carboy wouldn't be big enough for a 5 gal batch, huh?
It would. When did I ever say that it would not? My point was that headspace in the primary carboy is a good thing when it comes to maintaining a dense, rich C02 blanket.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
It would. When did I ever say that it would not? My point was that headspace in the primary carboy is a good thing when it comes to maintaining a dense, rich C02 blanket.
Sorry, I was going off of the "50-75%" figure. But I get it now. The goal is to maintain the CO2 blanket while swapping DH additions and a carboy is better at doing that than a bucket.

Quick Reply