Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Multi stage dry hop: is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
dickproenneke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Multi stage dry hop: is it worth it?

I'm attempting a FW wookie jack clone. The recipe calls for a 2 stage dry hop. 1oz each Amarillo/citra for 3 days, pull em out and then add another 1oz Amarillo/citra for 4 days. Why not just add 1.5oz each for 7 days? What are the benefits of multi stage dry hopping with the same hop varieties?

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Tava
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done this clone.. its good.. but I had the same concerns. following this thread.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
ddicker60
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I finished reading both For the Love of Hops and IPA. Their head brewer on there talks about dry hopping. Saying her prefers no more than 3-4 days for dry hopping because he believes it is at the point of diminishing returns. It probably does not matter.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tava View Post
I have done this clone.. its good.. but I had the same concerns. following this thread.
Can't wait to try it! I love me some Wookie Jack. I may just dump both DH additions all in at once for 4 days.
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been debating this same thing.. I'm following a recipe for Double Jack and they recommend a 3 step clone. I'd love to know the science behind it.. I'd prefer not to open up my fermentor more than i have to.

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just brewed this clone and plan to dry hop with the first addition this weekend. I've never done a multi stage dry hop, so I figure I'll give it a shot...

Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

I can see how spreading the hops over several stages can keep them from asserting a grassy flavor.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
I've been debating this same thing.. I'm following a recipe for Double Jack and they recommend a 3 step clone. I'd love to know the science behind it.. I'd prefer not to open up my fermentor more than i have to.
EXACTLY! I'd rather not risk oxidation, or to a lesser extent contamination, if it's not absolutely necessary... I'm very much a noob so my experience with brewing is very limited. I have DH'd only 5 times, usually for 7days, and have never picked up any grassy flavors. Maybe it's just the hop varieties I'm using or maybe it's the temps that I DH at... I have a buddy who DH'd an APA with 2oz zythos for 7 days and it definitely had some grassy/vegital flavors going on.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
jphebbie2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

oxidation does diminish hop presence so its a good idea to keep it to a minimum when dry hopping. I have done a 10g batch split into 2 5g kegs with different dry hopping techniques. one was a heavy single dry hop and the other was same weight and variety but split into 2 additions. The double dry hop had a much more complex and bright nose. If you keg your beers and are worried about oxidation from opening the keg so many times, just add your dry hops to the keg, flush it with CO2 and then pressure transfer to that keg with a jumper from the previous keg with the first dry hop addition. This means almost no chance of oxygen contact and thus no oxidation risk

On Tap - smoked porter on nitro
-Sour dubbel (15 months on oak)
- pliny the YOUNGER clone!
- dark english mild

Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphebbie2 View Post
oxidation does diminish hop presence so its a good idea to keep it to a minimum when dry hopping. I have done a 10g batch split into 2 5g kegs with different dry hopping techniques. one was a heavy single dry hop and the other was same weight and variety but split into 2 additions. The double dry hop had a much more complex and bright nose.
That sounds like a tasty experiment you got going on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphebbie2 View Post
If you keg your beers and are worried about oxidation from opening the keg so many times, just add your dry hops to the keg, flush it with CO2 and then pressure transfer to that keg with a jumper from the previous keg with the first dry hop addition. This means almost no chance of oxygen contact and thus no oxidation risk
I wish that I had kegging gear, but alas, I am just a bottler

Quick Reply