Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mr. Malty Calculator confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
The second school says to let the starter complete fermentation and rebuild its reserves of trehalose, glycogen and other nutrients. You let the starter ferment for a couple of days then refrigerate. The yeast will settle out in a day or so, and you can pour off the starter beer, leaving just enough to swirl up the yeast.
That, right there, is the school to which Mr. Malty subscribes.

And, three liters and a smack pack will fit just fine in a one gallon growler.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
There are two schools of thought about liquid starters. The first school says to pitch the starter at peak activity, usually 18 to 24 hours into fermentation. The yeast is still in suspension, so you have to pitch the whole thing, possibly adding some off flavors from the starter beer. The second school says to let the starter complete fermentation and rebuild its reserves of trehalose, glycogen and other nutrients. You let the starter ferment for a couple of days then refrigerate. The yeast will settle out in a day or so, and you can pour off the starter beer, leaving just enough to swirl up the yeast.

If I have time I like to do it the second way. As Yooper mentioned, that gives you a chance to build it up multiple times if you want. It also lets you pitch just yeast. If I don't have time I'll do it the first way. If I really don't have time I'll just throw money at the problem and pitch multiple packs of yeast. My last brew was a Vienna Lager. I realized too late (Sunday afternoon) that my only possible brew day was the next day. There was no way to build a starter so I just bought a couple of extra yeast packs and pitched three of the damn things. It's chugging along nicely but I don't want to do that again -- $20 worth of yeast adds up.

Chad

Yeast Starter Section of Palmer's "How to Brew"

You can combine your two schools of thought slightly. For my last beer, a Dunkelweizen, I wanted to go really low on the bananas, so I wanted to pitch a ton of yeast. I built up a 3 L starter over the course of a week. Two days before brewday, I chilled. Then, as I'm draining the MLT, I collect a small amount (pint or so) wort, boil it separately on the stovetop, cool, and feed that to my starter to peak activity up again. Then, I'm still pitching a !@$% ton of yeast, with activity, but not a lot of spent liquid.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had plenty of luck pitching the whole starter in the 18 to 24 hour range. If Mr. Malty tells me I need more than 2 liters, I just pitch 2 liters and I don't worry about the rate. I recently made a Helles lager this way and it turned out great. I had better than 75% attenuation underpitching a lager with little to no extra aeration other than the fitting I have on the end of my syphon tube that splashes the wort a bit.

My take is to ignore Mr. Malty for this brew, make a 2 liter starter and call it a day.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I think I actually harvested some pacman from a Rogue Brutal Bitter. How much will it have to multiply in order to use it as a starter for a 5 gal 1.070 batch? Specifically, how many inches (in height) of yeast in a .5 gallon growler will be enough?

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 05-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

One thing to make sure of when using the calculator is make sure you have the date selected correctly. It makes viability assumptions based on the production date of the yeast. If you have the date set wrong it calculates the starter size based on very low % viable.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply