Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Moving up to 25 Gal batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5isnotenough
WOW?!!
Glad to see that everyone in this forum is so open minded and willing to help!
So... guess I'll get no advice from anyone with any experience in this kind of situation.
Brew your batches... 10 gal at a time. Don't expand and if you do, you have to do AG, you have to spend $4000, you have to have 40 extra kegs, you won't drink it fast enough...
Thanks for all the help!
You know - I haven't said anything up until now. There are some VERY experienced guys on this board; many of which have tried to give you advice. A SMART person would look at that advice and reconsider their position.

So far, I don't see any reconsidering...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #22
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
What beer in the world could you possibly love so much that you want to have 25 gallons of it?
My Haus Pale Ale to start, followed by the IPA, then....

Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
WOW?!!
So... guess I'll get no advice from anyone with any experience in this kind of situation.
Brew your batches... 10 gal at a time. Don't expand and if you do, you have to do AG, you have to spend $4000, you have to have 40 extra kegs, you won't drink it fast enough...
Thanks for all the help!
Believe it or not, I held back my sarcasm in my OP.

Look, I can appreciate your desire to brew more beer. We all want to brew more beer.

You suggest purchasing 10 kegs, but you plan on brewing in 25 gallon batches. So unless you plan on leaving your brews in secondary or tertiary vessels for extended periods of time, then you only have the capacity to store 2 batches of beer - 5 kegs at a time.

Unless you plan on kicking a 5 gallon keg every 2.5 days or so (and thusly sending yourself thrusting into AA meetings), you don't have the capacity to be brewing 25 gallon batches on an even semi-regular basis.

Now for the really silly point of your post - are you seriously thinking about doing 25 gallon extract batches? I don't have anything against extract brewing - I think I'm in the majority when I say that this is how I started brewing. I also quickly moved from extract brewing for a reason. It leaves a 'twang' in beers that is undesireable, and it offers very little room for recipe formulation or creativity of any kind.

Extract brewing is a great starting point, but (most) everyone who is serious about making quality beer moves beyond extract brewing fairly quickly. Some are happy making 3-6 extract batches a year and there's nothing wrong with that - but investing in all of the hardware that you suggested above - to do extract batches - is just plain silly.

Then again, maybe I'm just an EAC?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I thought about going to 20 gallon batches, but have decided against it mainly from the hassle of the weight of the spent grain. 20 gallons batches would use almost 50# of grain and that's DRY. I have fun schlepping 10 gallons batches to my front yard now and double that would not be fun and my back would protest!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you came in here thinking you'd just get straight answers and nothing else, you just haven't been on the internet long enough. My father recently got all kinds of pissed off because he posted on the comments section of some random blog and never received a reply, except for "idiot!". Talk about noob.

If you stick with extract, there is no good reason to scale up to anything bigger than 10 gallons when you can literally bang out 5 of those batches in the same day. The beauty of it is they don't all have to be exactly the same.
You can also do a 4x concentrated boil of 10 gallons and put 2 gallons into each 5 gallon fermenter, top off each with 3 gallons of water. Done.

You can sift through the posts like this one that suggest it's an a$$-backwards idea without getting all huffy. Stick around though. There's a lot to learn. You just have to learn to take good with the bad (not really bad, just honest) posts.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #26
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I thought about going to 20 gallon batches, but have decided against it mainly from the hassle of the weight of the spent grain. 20 gallons batches would use almost 50# of grain and that's DRY. I have fun schlepping 10 gallons batches to my front yard now and double that would not be fun and my back would protest!
A shovel and wheelbarrow would do wonders for this. Though before embarking on this adventure, I would think about the disposal of the grains first. My SWMBO would kill me if I tried dumping that much grain around my backyard.

I think you guys are taking it awfully hard on this guy. If 3 people go in together and brew a 25 gallon batch, that's only 3 8 gallon batches. And there are brew pubs out there that are basically extract brewers and they are doing 5+BBL batches.

I do think they will want to get more kegs. They guys I know that do something similar to this (but AG) have over 40 kegs between them. On their brew days, they will empty 8 kegs. They brew more for their friends and to have a party than for themselves.

I still say go for it. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #27
Salmon Slayer
Recipes 

Quote:
I've been brewing 5 gal batches, but find that 5 gallons just don't last long enough. I've decided to make the investment for some serious equipment. I have put together my ideas, but was hoping maybe somebody would have some ideas that could save me money or headache.
Also, worth noting, I will be beginning All Grain batches next spring, but will be using extract for the first batch or two.
My shopping list:
Update International 160qt aluminum stock pot w/ lid, I add ball valve($200)
Bayou Classic SP10 20PSI propane burner($40)
Homemade counterflow chiller, probably 30' x 3/8"($70)
37.5 gallon food grade polyethylene tank for fermenter, custom fittings for drain, airlock...($100)
5 gallon pin-lock (coke style) kegs, force carbonating what fits in the fridge, maybe sugar priming what doesn't(?)(2 taps, 2 faucets, 10 kegs - $430)
33lb Muntons bulk extract syrup($60), steeping grains, maybe some additional DME in some recipes
Hops- undecided whether or not to buy the bulk (1lb-$10) for common bittering hops...
Not sure how much yeast will be needed for pitching the large batch, but probably use Muntons Gold, I guess packets(?)
Will probably us promash to calculate the ingredients for the bigger batches
Anything I'm missing, please let me know.
Also, for 25gal, will a converted 100qt cooler work for a MLT later?
Will the SP 10 bring the 31 gallons I'll need up to boil in a reasonable time?
I assume that the counterflow chiller will be my best bet?
Will a rectangular shaped PE tank cause any complications?
BTW, I'm new to HBT and would appreciate any help or insight! Thanks!
I regularly brew 45 gallon batches. Mashing in a 150 qt cooler:

or a 55 gallon barrel:

and boiling in a 55 gallon SS pot:

and I ferment using a 55 gallon barrell which I picked up from the local homebrew shop...it used to contain extract:

My biggest problem is controlling fermentation temps. A 40-45 gallon batch of beer will ferment at about 10 degrees warmer than ambient, therefore I can only brew in the late fall/winter/early spring when ambient temps in my garage are between 50-58 degrees.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #28
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Excelent first post Samon Slayer! Welcome to the board!

There you go 5isnotenough thats how you do it

Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ok, let's soften up a bit. I'd still recommend going all grain on a smaller scale first and then you can really exploit the economy of scale. We're talking about half price.

Get yourself a big propane tank because you'll blow through a 20lb in one batch easy. You'll need an in-line chiller like a CFC or plate. No way on an IC. For a mashtun, I'd go with a 30 gallon food grade barrel shoved inside a 55 gallon barrel with insulation shoved in between.

I know I'm scared of big batches because they're not all winning beers. If I have a so-so batch, I always wish that was the one time I paired back to 5 gallons. You start getting cocky and you have a whole mess of crappy beer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #30
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
WOW?!!
Thanks for all the help!
Guess I'll take the blame for this one...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply